Has anyone tried....

Solo Dolo

Has anyone tried another systemic medication for sweating besides the usuals (anticholergenics, b blockers, etc)?

there is already a thread for Diltiazem so i dont need comments about that but

One in particular im looking at is Indomethacin.

apparently some lady who had generalized hyperhidrosis took it for arthritis and it coincidentally stopped her sweating problem, and when she stopped the med, the sweating came back.

anyone tried it? or another med?

heres the link for the article about the indomethacin story
International Hyperhidrosis Society: Hyperhidrosis Treatment: Systemic Medication

pedro123

Hey good find. Someone should go on this. I will probably be free to try something like this in a few months, but not right now unfortunately.

Solo Dolo

i actually just researched indomethacin some more and im not sure how practical it would be.

it seems like there can be some serious side effects and i'm not sure how much faith we could put in it to stop sweating... but that article says that its possible that prostaglandins may play a part in sweating. So maybe there is another, more safe and promising medication that could stop the prostaglandins.

but heck, your welcome to try this if u want

pedro123

Chances are collectively here on this forum we know more about HH than most doctors, so talking to them is really out of the question.

cm123

I have also read about this medicine. It would be nice if someone would test it. I am sick of always being the guinea pig here.......

pedro123

cm123, the problem is if new meds don't work I sweat uncontrollably. When that happens, it affects my emotional state of mind. Given that I have deadlines next few weeks, I can't have that. However, I will gladly try this after wards

Knickerless

'The drug may also cause elevations of serum creatinine and more serious renal damage such as acute renal failure, chronic nephritis and nephrotic syndrome. These conditions also often begin with edema and hyperkalemia.
Additionally, indomethacin quite often causes headache (10 to 20%), sometimes with vertigo and dizziness, hearing loss, tinnitus, blurred vision (with or without retinal damage) and worsens Parkinson's disease[citation needed], epilepsy, and psychiatric disorders. Cases of life-threatening shock (including angioedema, sweating, severe hypotension and tachycardia as well as acute bronchospasm), severe or lethal hepatitis and severe bone marrow damage have all been reported. Skin reactions and photosensitivity are also possible side effects.
Due to its strong antipyretic activity indomethacin may obscure the clinical course of serious infections.
Psychosis has also been reported with prolonged use.
The frequency and severity of side effects and the availability of better tolerated alternatives make indomethacin today a drug of second choice. Its use in acute gout attacks and in dysmenorrhea is well-established because in these indications the duration of treatment is limited to a few days only, therefore serious side effects are not likely to occur.The drug may also cause elevations of serum creatinine and more serious renal damage such as acute renal failure, chronic nephritis and nephrotic syndrome. These conditions also often begin with edema and hyperkalemia.
Additionally, indomethacin quite often causes headache (10 to 20%), sometimes with vertigo and dizziness, hearing loss, tinnitus, blurred vision (with or without retinal damage) and worsens Parkinson's disease[citation needed], epilepsy, and psychiatric disorders. Cases of life-threatening shock (including angioedema, sweating, severe hypotension and tachycardia as well as acute bronchospasm), severe or lethal hepatitis and severe bone marrow damage have all been reported. Skin reactions and photosensitivity are also possible side effects.
Due to its strong antipyretic activity indomethacin may obscure the clinical course of serious infections.
Psychosis has also been reported with prolonged use.
The frequency and severity of side effects and the availability of better tolerated alternatives make indomethacin today a drug of second choice. Its use in acute gout attacks and in dysmenorrhea is well-established because in these indications the duration of treatment is limited to a few days only, therefore serious side effects are not likely to occur.'

you first.