Has anyone done Botox?

DaaaBulls

I was wondering what people have to say about Botox. I am in the process of getting my insurance company to cover it, they told me that as of now it is a "cosmetic" procedure so they don't cover it, sheyeah right...Cosmetic my ass. Anyone have any success with it?

pandamonium77

Get cosmetic insurance ^^;
I'm just kidding :D
I wish i could do more than crack a lame joke, but I don't know much about botox, other than the fact that it's botulism!

MyHyperhidrosis

Ya Botox didnt work for me. In the hands in hurts like hell and looks sick. You get all these brusies. All it did for me was slow down my hand sweat and costs a fortune even though I got most of it covered. I paid like $700 for it.

cm123

my insurance payed for all of it. it worked. i plan on getting it again.
(just got it on my hands)

DaaaBulls

cm123- How bad would you say your HH is on your hands? I would say mine is moderately severe to severe.

Sure_whynot

my insurance payed for all of it. it worked. i plan on getting it again.
(just got it on my hands)

What insurance company do you use?

& what the f****************k did you have to tell them to get them to cover it?

I was thinking, If i claim im suicidal or something. Maybe that will stress the importance of their covering the procedure.

Orrrr If i get like a bunch of anti-depression medications that are going to cost a fortune. So I can get them to realize botox would be cheaper in the long run, and would save them money.

as you can tell... im pretty desperate =/

cm123

cm123- How bad would you say your HH is on your hands? I would say mine is moderately severe to severe.

Extremely severe, It affects every aspect of my life. I had 60 shots in each hand. They put some cream on to numb the hands which they said probably wouldnt work and used ice as well. The cream as they thought, only helped a little bit and the ice helped a lot. Though in some places it was painful, the procedure was over all very quick and though painful when you factor in the time it took, maybe 8mins each hand it was worth it. The following day my hands were only sore a bit. I noticed dramatic differences but hads were 100%.

Having it for a few months it has been nice but there are still random times where my hands get slightly wet, although since insurance pays for it, I will get this again. Although, I am thinking that if i did iontox as well things would be amazing!

I did not get botox on my feet the doctor was skeptical about it and thought it would be 2 painful.

cm123

What insurance company do you use?

& what the f****************k did you have to tell them to get them to cover it?

I was thinking, If i claim im suicidal or something. Maybe that will stress the importance of their covering the procedure.

Orrrr If i get like a bunch of anti-depression medications that are going to cost a fortune. So I can get them to realize botox would be cheaper in the long run, and would save them money.

as you can tell... im pretty desperate =/

I have Bluecross and Blueshield of NC. Getting your insurance to cover your HH is a process it is not going to happen over night. Granted I was not denied and approved in 2 weeks. I had been going to the dermatologist for over 5 years and it was well documented in my records I was suffering from HH which clearly affected my life.

Over the 5 years I stuck with and tried every option. This is very important insurance agencies like to see you have tried other methods. It was even documented when I purchased a ionto machine back in 07 because i tried to get insurance to buy my drionic which, they did not because i did not meet my deductible.

Seeing that I had been a good patient and this was clearly affecting my life i elected to try botox in my hands. My normal dermatologist refused to do botox in my hands because he will not do any procedure which he is 100% sure will turn out perfect and sometimes with botox of the hand ppl can lose use of their thumbs. So he referred me to a few places.

I chose to go to a dermatology clinic that is also a dermatology school. It is a clinic that lets students follow the doctors around so they can learn how to be dermatologist. I believe this helped me 2 get my insurance passed because I agreed to let a student perform the operation. Not having many ppl coming in asking for botox for HH it was a good learning experience for the student doctor. I think they mentioned this in the letter.

Currently my sweating had been decent due to the following combination:
1. Professional RightGuard Deodorant Applied Daily and Nightly
2. Gold Bond Foot Powder Thrown All over my Feet + Socks
3. Botox every 6 months
4. I am going to start doing again Ionto of the hands and feet. With once weekly maintaince sessions for an hour using the drionic mixed with glyco in the water and hopefully the idromed eventually.
5. Occasional drysol on hands and feet at night before "big events"
6. Use of glyco pills 3 hours before "big events"
7. Daily use of Zoloft 25mg HH Therapy pills
8. Last but not least, Propranol (beta blocker) should an emergency come out.

Outcome: Semi normal life?

Please note, you might think the gold bond and right guard wont help because your sweating is to severe but I find every little thing helps and these a cheap solutions that atleast help "stall" the HH even just for a few mins.... everything helps.

Jezza

I've had it a couple of times.

Ironically, my insurance company covers the treatment if done in a hospital, but in hospitals in the Netherlands, they have a policy that everyone gets a certain amount of botox 'on the hospital' but not more than that, and the amount you get is pathetic (like one vial/year). Still they don't give you more, even if you (or your insurance company) are willing to cover the cost (which would still be about half of what you would pay in a decent private clinic). Long live the welfare state! (something to think about for you 'Mericans before public healthcare is launched). It's quite ok, just as long as you only break bones and have heart attacks but don't have anything that's a bit rare. With HH, basically I'm paying for insurance, I pay rediculous taxes that for about 1/3 go to healthcare but if I want to get botox, I still have to pay for it myself...

Anyway-->I've had three treatments in a hospital and one proper one in a private clinic. Palms, which was completely useless (10 injections per palm) and crazy painful (only emla anaesthetic, didn't work). The pain was really bad...it was the first time the docs did the treatment then and they felt really bad continuing with it but hell...after a couple of injections then finish it, please. The sweating in the treated areas definitely improved a lot, but as my fingers weren't treated, the overall effect wasn't great of course. I would say it took about 4 months for the sweating in the treated areas to gradually return again.

Then I've had injections in my arm pits and my feet. Didn't work at all.

Then...I wanted to give it one last chance and paid EUR900.- to get the treatment for my hands with the doc that treated people in one of those hospitals who don't take patients anymore but do give the right treatment with 50+ injections/hand. This guy treated people on the side in his private clinic (ethical?...doubtful), but obviously, my insurance company wouldn't cover that...yes really...anyway, covered it myself and at least the guy was skilled doing the treatment, I expected a world of pain with my previous experience in mind, but with ice cubes it was surprisingly painless, except for some finger tips. The results were ok I guess (don't expect completely normal dry hands, some areas are absolutely dry but some still damp, I would say it works for something like 80% in absolute sense), but all in all, since my HH is pretty generalised it didn't change my life that much to say wow...this is the solution. So, I didn't go back.

Also...they say Botox injections have no systemic side effects, but I'm not completely convinced, nothing serious, just dry mouth and stuff...maybe it depends on how the injections go I don't know. As for cramps or loss of strength in the hands I had none of that, maybe if you use it for years and years, but really two days after the injections you can just use your hands like normal, maybe a small bruise here and there but nothing painful. Interestingly Botox does not only block acetylcholine, but also CGRP, VIP and SP...but that's just a technicality.

I would say it's worth to try it once...see what it does for you, even if you have to pay it for yourself. It's relatively harmless and convenient, apart from the initial minutes of pain and the potential cost. In any case, make sure you get something who knows what he's doing, it can be REALLY painful but that's completely unnecessary.

Last edited:

DaaaBulls

Had my doctor write my insurance a letter telling them that Botox was my only option left and am going to see a dermatologist on thursday to get another letter. The lady doctor who refered me to her said that I have the sweatiest hands she has ever seen. I'm just hoping my insurance doesn't say no but I also have BlueShield BlueCross and they are usually pretty good. Plus I have tried everythign besides surgery and I'm in no way doing that.

batuska

Hi, I have severe hand and feet hyperhidrosis and I had botox injections for my hands 4 weeks ago. The doctor injected both of my hands about 10 injections per hand for a total of 200 units and did not treat my fingers telling me that I would loose a big part of my grip. By the way it did not hurt as much as I thought and did not bruise at all, and I was driving after 1 hour. After the first week I was very satisfied for the fact that my hand was %90 dry. But this only lasted for a week and it gradually faded to my original state except a small patch on my right hand(which keeps getting smaller every day), which sucks. :mad: I still don't know of anyone having botox lasted for such a short period of time. Anyway I paid for the total cost of $750, since I don't have insurance. IMHO I was getting far better results with the iontophoresis (%85-90 success). I've got an idea that my doctor was not that well specialized with botox so I might give it a try in 6 months with another doctor. Well I just wanted to try a different weapon against my war with the hyperhidrosis :D , and it ended with a great blunder. So here is my 50 cent on the topic. Please don't take my experience with botox as a discouragement or anything bad. I hope from heart that everyone finds the best solution for them, and keep in mind that botox has helped so many people.

Last edited: