Has anybody tried a serotonin-boosting diet?

A Many Splendored Thing

I came across a book the other day about foods that boost serotonin for increasing weightloss, but I'm wondering if this could also be applied to those who take Serotonin medications for depression.

Has anyone ever tried a diet like this and noticed any significant mood change? Or does anybody want to test this out and reply back?

ClovizKarts

i would try something like that. i am just gonna quit antidepressants, they have to many side effects, and this might help me.

GraybeardGhost

Interesting. :thinking:

I used to take SSRIs, but the side effects were nearly intolerable at times. This could be a viable alternative.

Got a link?

IntheLabyrinth

According to that web site, I already have a diet that contains many serotonin boosting foods but I don't know how to tell if that has made a difference in regards to my anxiety. I wanna say that I have had less physiological symptoms and panic attacks after starting the diet, but it may also be a result of seeing a psychologist that helped me or it may be the fact that I cut out caffeine and greatly reduced my sugar intake as well. Either way, healthy dieting will benefit us in one way or another.

21NZ

I've been on everything under the sun and the best way to get serotonin is simply to go outside between 9- 11am take your top and sun bath. that's where you naturally get serotonin and don't have a shower for 12 hours or so for it to absorb as it can be washed off believe it or not :D

99% of online diets are rubbish, talk to your G.P

hexagon_sun

Excercise will increase your serotonin levels naturally and subtley. The problem I have with any substance (natural or pharma) is that they try to alter your brain chemistry which also alters your "reward" system. In other words, the subtle interplay of neurotrasmitters is necesary for punishing you when you do something wrong or there is something wrong (sadness) and rewarding you when you do something right (happiness). When your reward neurotrasmitter serotonin is always on, you have difficulty learning and processing sensor information correctly. In extreme cases of serotonin overload, like when you take too many drugs like Exctacy, molly, MDMA; you run the risk of permanently burning-out your serotonin receptors. It's like taking a computer processor and switching all the tiny little transistors to the ON position. After the processor glows red from heat for a fraction of a second, it will burn-out and go up in a puff of smoke! Depression, anxiety, autism, ADD, etc... are actually due to issues with cerebral blood perfusion or lack there of. Your doctor won't tell you that though. They keep secrets from us ;-)

hoddesdon

This article tells you how to release serotonin:

How to Release Serotonin | eHow.com

1 Eat proteins, particularly those high in tryptophan such as eggs, turkey, Atlantic cod or perch, raw soybeans, milk, yogurt, cheddar or Parmesan cheese, cottage cheese, chocolate, oats and sunflower or pumpkin seeds. The body converts the amino acid tryptophan into serotonin.

2 Exercise regularly. A daily workout of 15 to 20 minutes of aerobic exercise helps regulate serotonin levels. For a quick adrenaline boost, go for a run or bike ride--anything to get your heart rate up and keep it up for the duration of the workout.

3 Avoid "quick fixes" such as sugar, caffeine, and alcohol. While these may provide a short-term boost in mood and energy level, the long-term reliance on sugar or stimulants will have a negative effect on your body's ability to regulate serotonin levels, which may lead not only to mood fluctuations but digestive irregularities.

4 Get enough quality sleep. Your body may function with less than the oft-prescribed eight hours a night, but your brain and body require time to rebuild and rejuvenate cells, which includes keeping your natural body chemistry regulated.

5 Enjoy some full-spectrum light. Natural sunlight or light therapy (without ultraviolet radiation) appears to provide a mild, temporary increase in serotonin production.

6 Consider taking supplements such as 5-HTP, rhodiola rosea, Vitamin B-6, or St. John's Wort (adults only). Follow the dosages recommended on the packaging.

hoddesdon

also see:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Release-S...ormone,-With-Brainwave-Entrainment&id=6901460

" Release Serotonin, The Happiness Hormone, With Brainwave Entrainment

By Wanina Petlock

Serotonin is a monoamine neurotransmitter that is produced from an amino acid called tryptophan that is stored within the gastrointestinal track, platelets, and the central nervous system. Ninety percent of it is found in the gut regulating intestinal movements. It is associated with your moods, how well you sleep, depression, anxiety, how you view things, body temperature, energy, muscle contraction, whether your platelets clot or not, and your ability to make decisions.

Serotonin is the "happiness hormone."

That makes it kind of important to your sense of well-being, don't you think?

Brainwave entrainment stimulates the brain using the alpha wave frequency (10 Hz) which allows for an increased release of serotonin. Alpha brainwaves ward off sad and depressed feelings. This powerful technology introduces a repeated, rhythmic frequency pattern to the brain with the intention of changing its dominant brainwave pattern to match it. The brain naturally follows and mimics this induced pattern and changes its state of consciousness. Different entrainment sessions do different things. Recordings that put the brain into alpha state help the brain release serotonin and maintain well-being.

What Lowers Your Serotonin Levels

Low exposure to sunlight.
Chronic stress and the overproduction of stress hormones like cortisol.
Genetics-some people have genetically lower levels of serotonin.
Lack of exercise.
An unbalanced diet and too much caffeine, soda, coffee, fake sugars, and processed foods.
Ecstacy - just thought I'd throw that in even though it's probably not the most common reason.
Drugs, alcohol, carbs and sugar can temporarily increase serotonin but will eventually eplete
serotonin levels over time. Crash and burn.

What Happens When Serotonin Is Low

Depression
Mood swings
Mania
Premenstrual syndrome
Food cravings-sugar, alcohol
Anxiety
Obsessive-compulsive behaviour-like being a hoarder
Eating disorders-like anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating
Irritability
Aggression
Migraines
Insomnia
Addiction
Headaches
Fat tummy

How To Release Serotonin

Vigorous exercise. Exercise has long been used as a good treatment for cases of mild depression when medication may not be needed. Regular exercise has a calming effect on the mind and ensures the release of serotonin for a few days after.
Eat protein.
Eat essential fats that are found in foods like salmon, flaxseed, walnuts, and avocados.
Sleep well. Make sure you have REM and deep, dreamless sleep.
Release oxytocin, the love hormone by engaging the feelings of trust, love and comfort, so that serotonin is naturally activated.
Sit in bright light.
Listen to a brainwave entrainment recording that stimulates your brain to produce alpha brainwaves that release serotonin in great amounts.

Brainwave entrainment is a fast, efficient way to reduce stress hormones and release large quantities of serotonin. It's amazing how much the "happiness hormone" can make a difference in your stressed out life.

There is relief.

Using brain wave entrainment is easy and fast and can change your life in every way. Begin your transformation by downloading your free 'Decompress' and 'Trance' mp3s in binaural beats and isochronic tones at http://waveridermp3.com"

This is obviously promoting "brain wave entrainment", but, whatever you may think about that, the rest seems valid.

Last edited: