hanging out with friends

Isolated_Writer

so, i'm new here. I wanted to talk to other people with social anxiety about friends. I know a lot of people, I'm not shy but i don't really like spending time with them outside school (even at school i spend very little time with people)

The other day, a person i think is pretty cool and almost a friend (maybe we are friends, i am bad at figuring that out) asked if i wanted to hang out after school. I would like to but i have a hard time saying yes to questions like that and get really drained after an hour or so of social interaction. So, i made up an excuse to get out of it.

Do you have advice on situations like this? Is it weird if i tell her about my anxiety? I can't remember the last time sombody besides my two friends (who i've known forever) as asked to hang out with me and i would like to get out of the house. Thanks.

surewhynot

You seem to simply be introverted. I can totally relate. Like, I do enjoy hanging out with people, but I just don't have a lot of social energy, I quickly get tired of being around people and just want to go back home and listen to music or watch a movie. Some people can even get pretty judgmental when I have to always leave early, but that's just the way I am ):

I don't know if there are any ways to make you more extroverted. I mean, that's just part of our personality :/

Isolated_Writer

I guess, i feel really uncomfortable in situations with people around my age. I get the same thing when i leave events early because i can't take being around people anymore but people don't understand. I want my potential friends to understand but don't want to scare them away

MikeyC

Yeah, you just sound introverted. Declining offers to hang out after school all the time will mean people will stop asking, and that could make you lonelier.

I know you get drained after too much interaction - so do I - but you've got to make a sacrifice.

Isolated_Writer

the thing is, i'm not introverted in the typical sense. I am loud, i'm not shy. Just like everyone else, i have my good times and bad times. in good times, i get super flustered and make excuses when i have to interact with people. I bad times i stay at home for weeks.

MikeyC

You've still got to make sacrifices against your will. I have done that so many times, but that is what we need to do for our friends.

Nothing wrong with alone-time, but every now and again go out and hang out with someone, even if it's just lunch or going for a walk or whatever. You might even enjoy it.