Gym etiquette

SilentAndShy

I've said it for many years going as far back as my 20s that I want to join a gym and "tone up". Unsurprisingly that hasn't happened. Now I'm slightly overweight and at 35, I want to improve my physical health, my diet and hopefully it helps with my mental health.

There is a leisure centre that has a gym next door to work that is convenient (a plus point to actually stick to it) so I did a quick tour this week and the next thing is to actually join and start sessions.

Although, being socially anxious, I'm super worried about falling foul of the gym etiquette.

What are those rules? I know some (towel to clean the equipment and the weights?) But I was hoping to shower afterwards and is there dressing room etiquette to follow as a man. I'm slightly body conscious so I want to act cool when I'm potentially, half or fully, naked.

Thank you

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I've said it for many years going as far back as my 20s that I want to join a gym and "tone up". Unsurprisingly that hasn't happened. Now I'm slightly overweight and at 35, I want to improve my physical health, my diet and hopefully it helps with my mental health.

There is a leisure centre that has a gym next door to work that is convenient (a plus point to actually stick to it) so I did a quick tour this week and the next thing is to actually join and start sessions.

Although, being socially anxious, I'm super worried about falling foul of the gym etiquette.

What are those rules? I know some (towel to clean the equipment and the weights?) But I was hoping to shower afterwards and is there dressing room etiquette to follow as a man. I'm slightly body conscious so I want to act cool when I'm potentially, half or fully, naked.

Thank you
1)Always - always.. return your weights to their rack. Dumbels, barbells and plates, they all go back.
2) When you're using a peice of equipment, don't get on your phone in between sets and take forever to finish using that equipment. People may be waiting for you to finish using it.
3) Wear deodorant.

As far as the shower/change room etiquette goes, generally don't directly face anyone. If you're naked then face away. Most guys will usually feel a bit self conscious at first, but you get used to it.