Gotta party with my BF's high school friends

Angie_05

I need help or advice or something. I am going to meet up with my boyfriend in his hometown next week for thanksgiving break (we are currently living far away from each other). I haven't seen him in almost 2 months and I was hoping to get some quality alone time and that's about it. Well, he's been talking to all his old friends and they all wanna go to bars like 3 different nights, and I have to go too. I am a little nervous because these are people who are a little different than me. I live in an urban area and go to a university, and they live in rural areas and most of their activities involve working and partying (I don't do much of either). I think it is going to be so hard to be around all of them and hear all their old drunken stories and about all the partying they do and I'll just be sitting there, trying to find their stories funny (but who really likes old drunken stories that you don't have any part of?).

I've been to college parties and those I can handle because all those people have a lot in common with me. But how do I socialize with these people I hardly know and not let my low self-esteem get to me?

Hurricane

Do they wake up and put on their pants just like you? Do they have dreams and hopes just like you? Are they people JUST like you?

MaGuS

Become genuinely interested in them and they will do all the talking =)

have fun!

allanboy

Like rock n roll guy above said, talk a little to your boyfriend and get him to give up on one or 2(maybe all the 3) party nights and spend some time with you.

Olivier25

"Become genuinely interested in them and they will do all the talking =) "

that is a really good tip you should follow!

people may be different from different places and background,
but we can always find some things in common.

maybe not with everyone one but with many.

people are people.
and they will all be different also.

look for similarities and you ll find some.
look for differences and you ll them also.

just my opinion.

Olivier

Angie_05

Steve-182 said:
Hopefully your BF can be a little considerate and instead of going to one, use that evening to have some quality time with you. It seems a bit unfair to still go to all of them if you're coming over.

I am going to be there for 5 nights, so 2 of those I won't have to go out. He already has plans to spend a lot of alone time with me.

I will take your guy's advice into account. I've never really been in a situation where I've been left out, so I'm afraid this will be the first occasion for me. I tend to go out with people I know that I can talk to. And it's not just because they are different from me. I talk to all kinds of people; even those from different countries and different backgrounds. My real fear though is that because he knows these people from a long time ago and they all have similar interests, I will be left standing there alone, quiet (embarrassing.)