Good Perspective on Blushing

tgates209

For those of us who view our blushing as the worst thing happening to us, I just read an article about stopping blushing and one of the points made shed some light on another perspective for me.

...If you’re interested in learning how to stop blushing, it might be useful to remember that blushing does serve an important purpose in some circumstances. When we blush, we make others aware of our feelings so that they can modify their behavior in an appropriate manner. Blushing helps communicate the emotions that we might be too afraid to verbally express. As Mark Twain once wrote, "Man is the only animal that blushes or needs to."

This means that blushing is not all about us and our embarrassment about it, but a way to shift responsibility in some cases to others who may be doing/saying things that are causing us discomfort.

Just another good thought and new perspective for me. Hope it helps someone.

Anubis

Sounds about right. I don't blush, but I have this nasty tendency to look melancholy when I'm uncomfortable (due to an insult ,etc.). It's what I call my pity reflex. People observe it, show empathy and tend to stop their insults. Of course, not everyone does. In this case, I either try to get out of the situation or "up the ante" by trying to water my eyes to simulate the beginning of tears.

Such a shitty way to deal with life. I've attempted to stop doing it, but it's so natural and automatic that I really can't stop it when it's already in motion. I've gotten better at hiding it though.

NothingElseMatters

For those of us who view our blushing as the worst thing happening to us, I just read an article about stopping blushing and one of the points made shed some light on another perspective for me.

...If you’re interested in learning how to stop blushing, it might be useful to remember that blushing does serve an important purpose in some circumstances. When we blush, we make others aware of our feelings so that they can modify their behavior in an appropriate manner. Blushing helps communicate the emotions that we might be too afraid to verbally express. As Mark Twain once wrote, "Man is the only animal that blushes or needs to."

This means that blushing is not all about us and our embarrassment about it, but a way to shift responsibility in some cases to others who may be doing/saying things that are causing us discomfort.

Just another good thought and new perspective for me. Hope it helps someone.

sometimes it helps when i think this way.it's a good thought.but other times it happens for no reason just because i think of blushing and it sucks