Going to lunch with coworkers

IWouldPreferNotTo

You guys hate this, too? I went to lunch with my boss today. She said she wanted to reward me for being a good employee. The place we were going was a long walk away and I was really worried it would be all awkward. Turns out she invited another guy to go with us- I'm sure because she also thought it would be awkward with me, but I'm glad she did it. It made the whole thing ok. I didn't talk that much, but it wasn't the usual embarrassing "I'm not saying anything and everyone is talking". It was relaxed.

Anyway, at my old job, a bunch of the computer guys were getting together at lunch and the dude I worked with really wanted to go and he wanted me to go, too, but I didn't want to. He talked me into it and the lunch (about 6 guys) was awkward. Man, the conversation was not flowing. So I'm thinking "good, at least we won't have to do that again". But the next week, they all wanted to go out *again*. I'm thinking "Why? No one had anything to say". So I got talked into going again, and this time it was okay- not great. To cut the story short, I kept going to these lunches and after a while they became fun and I looked forward to them. I even organized a bunch of them. I guess after everyone got used to each other, we opened up and it made it fun. Glad I was forced into taking that first step.

-IWPNT

Kien

I know the feel. I often skip making food in the evening to carry to school and I walk the 1.5kms home instead and eat and then go back.

blackcap

Hang on, you were forced into lunch with co-workers in the past and it turned out really well in the end.... what makes you think the same won't happen again?

I've worked in companies in the past where people went out for lunch often. I basically only went when I couldn't get out of it, usually a special occasion or something. Luckily the company I'm with at the moment isn't too social so I don't have to avoid lunches, dinners, Friday drinks etc. Just the Christmas party each year...!

IWouldPreferNotTo

blackcap said:
Hang on, you were forced into lunch with co-workers in the past and it turned out really well in the end.... what makes you think the same won't happen again?

I've worked in companies in the past where people went out for lunch often. I basically only went when I couldn't get out of it, usually a special occasion or something. Luckily the company I'm with at the moment isn't too social so I don't have to avoid lunches, dinners, Friday drinks etc. Just the Christmas party each year...!

I was talked into going to lunch several times and after a while it turned out cool. So, I guess the point is that sometimes stepping out (even if you're 'forced' pays off). It could pay off in the future, too, but I think this success was the exception to the rule.

I *never* go to work parties.