going to concerts

DownInAHole

I love concerts... and always seem to feel happy after leaving.

The most recent one I went to was Alice in Chains, I was supposed to see Megadeth on Monday but it was postponed :/

because of my SA i have almost completely stopped going to concerts. and unfortunately it's affected my friendships and my relationship. people don't even bother inviting me anymore and i can't describe how left out it makes me feel considering how much i used to enjoy it and get excited...i really want to work on it, but it's definitely one of the hardest things for me. really sucks that my bf goes to most shows now with my best friend.

Last concert i went to was Sonic Youth. before that was Simon and Garfunkel reunion tour lol. best concert ever.

jco3

I can see most of you are very young and I was almost 40 before I was able to go to a concert. I am so glad to hear that you can begin to plan a concert! awesome I think. I was social phobic by age 13 and quickly was broken, but one of the things I used to keep myself alive was the thought that one day I could go see a concert! and I did, and enjoyed every minute of it!
I am so happy to read your replies and can tell that this is a great way to overcome S.A. by the way, oddly, it is easier to be around 1,000 people than it is to be with one. reason is with the masses no one is really looking at you because there is so much going on.

That's awesome. And I totally agree. I've even performed in front of large crowds and it's much easier for me to do that, then do something intimate with 5-20 people. It just scares the **** out of me.

A book that has really helped me realize what's important is this one. Seriously consider checking it out. Amazon.com: A Path with Heart: A Guide Through the Perils and Promises of Spiritual Life (9780553372113): Jack Kornfield: Books

The one thing that never ceases to amaze and frustrate me is after you're done doing whatever it was that you really wanted to do it always turns out to be no big deal. Whether the situation be just picking up pizza's from a pizza shop, or meeting up with friends... It always seems to never be nearly as bad as you thought it would. Most of the time I really enjoy myself - while, there are those times where you feel like you can't breathe, I've never actually died from being social.

what concert was it that you went to?

jco3

I'm seeing Wilco this year, hopefully :D

Going to concerts solo makes you feel sort of rebellious. When I had more friends and money I used to see shows with them occasionally, but as my tastes changed I started to feel guilty about dragging people along to shows they didn't really care for.

So I went, "Screw it, I'm going to see this concert even if I have to lie to everyone about it." I don't regret my decisions at all. :D

Just watch out for the a***holes who've had too much to drink.

I freaking love Wilco!!!

Man, they were in constant rotation last summer. There's something about troubled lyricists that I can really relate to - for better or worse.

Also, you give me hope that it is possible to go alone. Thank you.

jco3

I love concerts... and always seem to feel happy after leaving.

The most recent one I went to was Alice in Chains, I was supposed to see Megadeth on Monday but it was postponed :/

Completely agreed. And, currently I'm trying to see Alice in Chains within the next few months. How were they?

because of my SA i have almost completely stopped going to concerts. and unfortunately it's affected my friendships and my relationship. people don't even bother inviting me anymore and i can't describe how left out it makes me feel considering how much i used to enjoy it and get excited...i really want to work on it, but it's definitely one of the hardest things for me. really sucks that my bf goes to most shows now with my best friend.

Last concert i went to was Sonic Youth. before that was Simon and Garfunkel reunion tour lol. best concert ever.

Same thing happened to me during the summer, although it wasn't with concerts. I'd go weeks even months without keeping contact with anyone. It got so bad at one point, I would get panic attacks just from going on Facebook. It was incredibly depressing. The funny thing is I would hear about things my friends did together and I would feel jealous and left out, like they were the reason I was unhappy. But, in reality it really was my fault.

I have a friend who's really into Sonic Youth, BTW. Seems like you like the oldies. Nice.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Dont worry, the concert was one of the worst I've seen..She is very very talented. but live...it just didn't go well. Also I couldnt see her, she refuses to be up on the screen, it made it hard to connect for me.

:eek: I-I-I don't be-be-believe you!