Going to a Event where I'm in the Open

OK, I seem to sometimes throw myself into the lion pit here a lot...
Now yesterday one of my colleagues informed me that this Friday upto Sunday our college will at this event. A lot of big companies will be there also, so there will be a huge crowd. And by crowd I mean not just people from their respective companies and groups, I mean a lot of people in that field including tons of students and even people just inquiring are going to be there. This your basic formula for having a SA person trapped in the lion pit of the Colosseum. And I have the choice to go for it, cause there's so much technology that I'm out of date with and well I want to see what I've been missing in the world.
Now here's the real nail bitten job for me. I have to sit at our post along with someone else from that department and talk to the people. I'm not even really in that part of the department so I wouldn't know a knife from a spoon when it comes to explaining to people what it's all about.
So I've been assured I'd be told what I should say in the days before the event and how to deal with it.
Now I like to go do this and see things, but being a SA person myself in a place where people like so are shunned, it's going to be hell for me. I know at the end of the day, assuming I don't get into any trouble, I'm going to have enjoyed going.
For one thing I have sat at posts and stalls at huge events where thousands of people would come in and talk, it was just over a year ago I did so and it was a piece of cake because I worried more about where the people who were supposed to be working with me were and what I would have for dinner than anyone looking at our post and talking with us. And the big difference is that those events were not in this country or community, I went over to some out of the country place where I know even people with some disability are accepted. And because everyone is friendly there and never treat me different from anyone else, I don't have anything to worry about.
But this place is different, the community here has this 'mental thing' where they think about what and who the other man is. I will be noticed because we will be posted next to a very important company, and I will be seen. I know no one will care about me after 30 seconds, but the fact that I will be nervous like hell when I sit there and talk to people, it's bothering me now.
One of the things to calm my self I take is my work. Even the classes I teach in I sometimes get a little anxiety, and because I've brought my work with me I poke my nose into it and do about 2 minutes of work, and I'm ok.
I have the same opportunity to take my work to our post and do the same, but I doubt I'll have even a moment to relax if I have to talk to people and that I know they are looking at me.

It's nerve wrecking already, so feel free to comment or suggest.
The only thing I haven't decided is if I will go or not. It would be good since I will be able to get used to events over here. On the other hand I would rather be at work since I get to relax more.

Well I completely forgot to comeback and mention about how that event went. And after something like this you would never guess I have SA.

So our post was terrible, and I just kept telling my self that everyone else is scared of me more than me being afriad of being there. Only like 3 people came to our post that day, but didn't have to explain much at all. A rival institution actually had a post 10 times better than ours, and considering that we didn't have any girls posing in ours, everyone was going to theirs. And to avoid getting worried about the people who stop and stare, I had some work which I could do while at the post that I brought along and that worked well to distract me. I was glad to go to that event 'cause it shows me that I have a good chance to get over my SA.
You bet I was nervous like hell, but what can I say other than I went and survived the event.

Of course if I was really uncomfortable then I was ready to make an excuse, hop into my car and drive off to the office where I could have done some work.