Goals for progress

sullyS25

I have realized that complaining about how afraid I am in social situations and the fear that comes with being around other people doesn't really help me much so I have decided to make some goals for progress instead and move forward.....

For me the fear is the worst when I am talking to or around the opposite sex....I have complained about how I never have any females to talk to but I never make the attempt so obviously I won't have any to talk to. The goal I have for this week is to say hello to a random female on the street. Just say hello. That might seem easy and ridiculous but as I told myself I was going to do it today I noticed the anxiety growing.....My inner chatter manifests itself in a way similar to this...."They will think you are weird just randomly saying hello" or "You will come off as a creeper and they will be afraid of you" or anything similar to that.....But after thinking about it, it is just saying hello! It is innocent and I will probably never see them again anyway.

I have to start somewhere and I think this is a good place to start....if I jump into a situation like trying to start a conversation, there will be too much anxiety and it will cause me to avoid them even more....I need to take baby steps......

Any opinions on this or does anyone else have a goal they might want to work on they could post? I would love to hear about it if so....

A Many Splendored Thing

I think it's a great idea to start with.

When somebody says hello to me on the street, I just think they're being friendly.

When you get comfortable saying hello to strangers, you can take it a step further and maybe try small talk with somebody. Remember that women are just the same as men for the most part.

I plan on being a decent presenter someday. I won't be making it my job though. heh

sullyS25

I think it's a great idea to start with.

When somebody says hello to me on the street, I just think they're being friendly.

When you get comfortable saying hello to strangers, you can take it a step further and maybe try small talk with somebody. Remember that women are just the same as men for the most part.

I plan on being a decent presenter someday. I won't be making it my job though. heh

Ya I get really nervous as well when I have to present in front of people...I cannot control the tone of my voice and my breathing gets really shallow, then I forget what I want to say....but I have accepted that and presenting in front of people doesn't happen very often for me so I am personally more concerned about learning to communicate with people and taking the steps to meet them....It is all about small victories for me though...progress and not perfection.