glycopyrrolate

albarosa2008

I have been taking glycopyrrolate for generalized h.h. for about 6 months now and find it has been the answer to this life-long problem (more like torture!!) of mine. I posted about it after I finding it worked for me but I forgot my user name and was too busy getting my life together to find it again...As much as I hated the thought of taking medication, I did my research and decided to try it. It works for me, thank God, with no side-effects at all, not even dry mouth, at 1.5 mgs/day (I'm 110 lbs and my h.h. is pretty bad).

I have noticed that if I sleep after taking it, it loses all effectiveness. So I don't do that. I do find that I still perspire just a little bit if I'm somewhere where the room temperature is really high (it's winter here in Toronto and many people put the heat gage on "sweltering") In those environments I'm not completely bone-dry like I was when I first took it and it was summer (around 30 degrees celcius) but it's negligible. Can we become immune to the glyco? I'm trying to not take it if I'm puttering around at home or if I don't have school or work or close social interactions on that day. My over-all sweating has decreased even when I don't take it (like tonight). I have not had any reaction while taking the medication and drinking beer, which I do almost every day. I developed this beer habit because it has always, strangely, stopped the sweating. I guess I should stop drinking so often now that I have the h.h. under control. I don't need liver disease now that I've been granted a new lease on life. But, dang! I love the suds! lol

Have any long-term users of glyco. experienced decreased effectiveness?
Any response or comments or conversation about our shared condition would be appreciated. And no, I am not an advertiser for glycopyrrolate. Just a long-term sufferer who needed to share my story and would like to know about others experience. I've never personally known anyone with this problem, so I've had anyone to talk to who could understand.

I'm so thankful to this forum and hope everyone can find the right treatment for themselves. I pray a definitive cure is being discovered as I type this!!

Blessings to you all!

p.s. I think it's good to sweat sometimes too and there is a warning about engaging in strenuous exercise while taking it, so please be careful!! I personally like to sweat when I'm working out-

hels

Hello, im sorry to say ive seemed to have become immune to glycopyrrolate. It turned my life around in the beginning and then stopped working after about two years. i hate to the bearer of bad news but i dont know if everyone expereinces this problem

albarosa2008

Yes very discouraging. I'm curious as to how many mgs you were taking and did you take it daily? Is it completely ineffective for you now? Have you tried anything else..like Hydrosal or ionto?
I'd appreciate the feedback.
Thanks.

hels

Hello, i have generalised HH but it is most noticeable on my face so i used secure wipes. I started on the lowest concentration and ended up gradually increasing it to 4percent (this the highest you can buy unless you make a specific request) as it became less effective. After about 2-3 years i stopped using it as it only made the sweating very slightly less but it made my face go bright red if i got warm (which for me is most of the time!). It has been a horrible experience as i changed my lifestyle to suit my new found dryness to only find that now im having to retreat again and possibly change my job.

I sincerely hope you do not experience this but i guess its best to be able to plan for the worst!

tbanner523

I too have generalized hyperhidrosis. I took glycopyrrolate and it worked early on. However, it started to loose its effectiveness, as well as make my face red (likely because I couldn't get rid of my body's excess heat). I don't know if this response is typical, I think you can find several people that have used glycopyrrolate long-term, and still benefit from it. In my case, I think my sweating has just gotten worse over the years, not that the medicine stopped working per se.

Rachel27

I have been taking Glyco for a little under a year now and I am very happy with it most of the time. I have had severe hyperhidrosis my whole life, and it was the worst in my hands, feet, and underarms. I underwent ETS surgery about 11/12 years ago, and the outcome has been dry hands and arm pits, but worse sweating in feet and also suffering from compensatory and gustatory sweating. Thankfully, my physician put me on Glyco and it helps a lot. Most of the it helps reduce the sweating and especially the gustatory sweating and I can eat my favorite foods a lot better now without being drenched in sweat. It also cuts down my compensatory sweating too especially when in hot weather. There are times when I take the Glyco and still end up being very sweaty. It is almost like it works great on some days, and ok on others. This morning I took two 2 mg tablets because I had a terrible sweaty day yesterday. Granted it was about 90 degrees and 100% humidity which didn't help! I am also afraid of my body becoming immune to the Glyco eventually. I really hope this doesn't happen because it has been a life saver in many cases for me. I was able to go to the zoo with my husband a couple months ago on a warm day, and was not bothered at all by my sweating. It has helped me at work too, and keeps me dry longer. Also, has anyone heard of this? I have heard that your nerves CAN RE GROW AND REATTACH AFTER ETS SURGERY....anyone heard of this happening? Very worried about that.

uksam

I've never used it long term. When I started I used it for a week or two, with a day off every few days. Now I only use it before big events. But last time I used it, 2 mg came with really bad dry mouth. So for me it's not a case of it having lost its effectiveness, I just can't deal with the dry mouth.

Its very dependent on your stomach. I've had 2 mg shortly after/before eating and not noticed much of an effect. Last time, with the severe dry mouth, I had 2 mg after waking up and didn't eat for an hour. When it came to eating my mouth was too dry!

So, it does work (I didn't sweat at all), which is great news, but avoiding dry mouth and fine tuning the dosage, including when to eat, is difficult still. For me.

I've never used it long term. When I started I used it for a week or two, with a day off every few days. Now I only use it before big events. But last time I used it, 2 mg came with really bad dry mouth. So for me it's not a case of it having lost its effectiveness, I just can't deal with the dry mouth.

Its very dependent on your stomach. I've had 2 mg shortly after/before eating and not noticed much of an effect. Last time, with the severe dry mouth, I had 2 mg after waking up and didn't eat for an hour. When it came to eating my mouth was too dry!

So, it does work (I didn't sweat at all), which is great news, but avoiding dry mouth and fine tuning the dosage, including when to eat, is difficult still. For me.

Yeah I know how you feel Sam, trying to work out when and when not to eat and like you said; fine tuning the dosage is the issue with me aswell.

I took 2 mg one time on a completely empty stomach and was dry, with the usual dry mouth, but then it came to meal time and everyone was eating. I couldnt say I didnt want to eat but truth me told I was hungry anyway so I ate along with the rest of my family. As you could imagine I started to sweat about 30 mins after which was kinda sad since it kinda "exposed" me, with me then having to leave the room every couple of mins to wipe away the sweat.

If only Glycopyrrolate worked regardless of what or how much we ate then it would be perfect!