Getting help with SA

shon

I read something on-line about how some people see shrinks for help with SA and some take anti-depressants. I can't talk to a shrink because I'm a chicken. Also, it seems a shrink would be extremely traumatizing so how could that help! If I can mention to my Dr that I have this, I wonder what she will think. What do Dr's do to help with this problem or can they? Are anti-depressants good for this? I want to know what "normal" feels like.

Joey86

Yup I feel the same way. I can hardly talk about my social anxiety on the internet, let alone in person to somebody I don't know, like a psychologist. It's like trying to have a group session for people suffering social anxiety: It just doesn't work :-

mban166l.jpg

I think learning about the disorder yourself, and having others to talk to who are going through simular life experiences (like on this forum) helps more than any psychologist could.

Septor

Yea I can empathize with both of you.I still find it very hard to talk about SA with anyone, though I've gotten a little better over the years but not much.

I know you said, that you don't want to see a therapist but some kind of therapy is usually a good starting point, in my opinion to work on SA.A lot of people have showed improvement with CBT or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and yes it can be traumatizing sometimes but it does get easier with time.A lot of the time, to improve yourself, you have to go out side your comfort zone, if you want to move forwards.I know easier said then done.Believe I have had my own problems with that and I don't always practice what I preach.So I know how hard it can be to talk to someone about it.You should start here or at other likewise forums that deal with SA and hopefully after a while it will become easier for you to talk about it and then move on from there.

Anti-depressants and other meds can also be helpful for you.It works for some and not at all for others.You will just have to find out for yourself.As far as talking to your doctor about meds, it can be a mix bag.I wont lie, I've gotten nasty reactions from some doctors but to be fair, they where general practitioners and that was a worst case scenario.If you have doubts about how your doctor would react, you should try to see if you can find a Psychiatrist to talk to.They usually have a better understanding of SA then your average doctor.Just try to remember that they're there to help you and not judge you.

Foxglove

The good thing about talking to a shrink is that they are being paid to do their job. It isn't like they are a regular person you would meet at work, in a store, on the street. . . Therefore, they aren't judging you or grading you or anything. Also, they hear "weird" stuff and see "weird" people all the time, so nothing is strange to them. I have been to several shrinks, but they weren't of much help, unfortunately. Antidepressants can help some people. They can have nasty side effects, like weight-gain or sleep disturbances, but if they work it might be worth it.

shon

Yeah, what u all said is very helpful. I can see how a therapist may or may not work out. It's always been about me not wanting to leave my comfort zone. It's all about hiding and taking the easy way out but that doesn't improve my life. It makes it easier to continue on with isolation which has led to depression. A couple weeks ago, I didn't even realize this was a real illness that other people have. People have always thought I was shy or just rude. There's so much pain that self-destruction that goes along with it. I guess everybody here understands that and it's nice to not be alone even if I don't wish it on anyone else.