Generalized HH

tbanner523

I have some questions for anyone with generalized HH:

Do you generally run hot at all times? Have you always had generalized HH? I ask because I am always hot, and always sweating. The slightest increase in temperature or physical activity increases the intensity. I feel like I am in 90 degree temperatures all of the time (strangely it gets ten times worse when I ride in cars, or sit anywhere in general, even if the air conditioning is on).

I also only began to have generalized HH about 6-7 years ago. Before I only had palmar HH, and it was usually mild-to-moderate. Now it is moderate-to-severe.

Everything I have read says that hyperhidrosis is a sweat response unnecessary to thermoregulatory needs....but I feel hot all of the time! I wish there was simply a drug to make me cool off, that would be a god send.

jjubbs

tbanner,

I'm in the same boat as you. I have general HH whereby I am always hot and sweating. When I exercise, I sweat at least 3 times as much as others. I also find that after I do cardio, I am extraordinarily hot for nearly 24 hours and sweat even harder than usual. For example, many times I'll go for a run at night and wake up feeling extraordinarily hot/sweating even more aggressively for the first half of the day. I used to suspect this may be the sign of an overactive thyroid, but I had my blood tested for that a couple of years ago and the doc said things were fine.

Something I've just started trying recently was spraying an Aloe Vera mist on my neck and shoulder area in the morning for its cooling effect. It seems to temporarily help mildly, but not enough that I'm satisfied with just that.

I would love to know what is wrong with people like us, perhaps a hypothalamus problem. I've definitely tried every potential "cure" thus far, stopping short of the different antidepressants (nothing sounds promising to me yet) and ETS (from what I've read online, this would be the worst choice of my life).

Right now I'm just hoping that eventually research pinpoints the exact pathological cause (hoping this NOS inhibition info Jezza graciously posted is on the right track) and leads to a solution so that I dont keep wasting time and money trying all these ridiculous natural cures, unintended drugs, antiperspirants, etc.

tbanner523

I can relate to the exercise dilemma: It takes me hours to cool down after I run (and I used to love to run!). This disorder is a logistical nightmare, I can't wake up in the morning to run, because my body will be hot/clammy/disgusting for the rest of the morning....and ice cold, or luke-warm showers do little to help. That leaves exercise at night, but I have other responsibilities. I used to love physical exertion! I still wouldn't mind if I sweated 10 times as much as everyone else while exercising, the problem is the cool down, which never comes.

Lots of rants from me today.

Yeah, your experience generally matches up with mine. I tend to get to the point of dripping with sweat very easily and I do feel hot. I sweat from the head and face, back and groin mostly. I don't sweat from the hands, feet or armpits excessively.

Even mild exercise can trigger it. Walking up a hill makes me look like I've just run a marathon. I don't usually get the hotness and sweat persisting long after exercise except in very hot weather.

I don't think its hyperthyroidism in my case since I have had a thyroid blood test which came out normal.

Also I don't think its an excessively fast metabolism because I am slightly overweight without eating an excessive diet. If I had a too fast metabolism I would expect to be underweight.