Future of ETS - Electricity and Magnetics

grimaldi

I want to publish here, and in the Facial Blushing Forum, some hints about a future solution to hyperhidrosis and facial blushing.

I am considering ETS as a generalized sweater with face blushing and palpitations. After contacts with Dr Telaranta and Dr Lin, I have decided to wait, and I want to share with you all why.

First, my mail exchange with Dr Telaranta, which are in Swedish, so I will narrate for you the most important parts:

I described my situation and I also linked THIS page to him, which explains a patent treating palmar hyperhidrosis with electrical stimulation of the Sympathetic Nervous Chain, rather than cutting it off. I then asked him if he was familiar with this and by any chance could perform it.

His answer was: "This method seems to be similar to what we are researching right now. The problem is that it is not legal in Scandinavia and probably not yet even in the U.S. as a medical approach but only as 'alternative method'. Our researches do not need any needles or punctation but a magnetic method. But, I said, bureaucracy is an obstacle".

He then wouldn't answer my following mail about the time schedule apart from "I don't know, I am just contributing research, maybe I will not even use it". I pressume he do not want to reveal too much, as it can get him out of business until this new thing - if ever - gets finished.

If you read the documents of the above link, you will see that this is a "ETS LIGHT" i.e. no destruction of the nerve chain but "signals determined individually for each patient". A device is implanted into the patient, with electric waves than be adjusted and, would there be side effects, fully turned of.

The report from the patenters talk about the problem with ETS - and states that one quarter of patients going through the surgery is forced to take long sick leaves or retire early. Therefore, it is said, electricity aims to minimize the side effects by slowing down the transfer of signals from T2-T3 ganglia, instead of fully disrupting it.

HERE is the similar patent for treating facial blushing with the same method. HERE is also a Google Books link describing the method "ELECTRIC Sympathetic Block", here used to treat chronic pain disorders by stimulate the Sympathetic Nerve with electricity.

OK, OK, OK! We know that there does actually exist a method to slow down over activity of the Sympathetic Nerve, instead of cutting/clamping it. This patent though is from 2002, so it's very strange in my book that it yet has not become a common method. Here I think that you American users can help us other out: on the patent page there is links to the company and doctors behind the patent. I tried to contact them through mail, but obviously it's hard for me, living in another part of the world.

Please try to contact this guys, see what happened to the patent. HERE is also a likewise patent from 2007, called "Electric modulation of sympathetic nervous system". The recent date shows us there is still research going on within the field - please contact this company as well!

As a side note, the other surgeon I've been in contact with is Dr Lin from Taiwan, he says that it would be very hard to avoid reflex sweating in my case, due to generalized nature of my sweating. He also says - according to his own "research on 2 000 patients" - that the risk for severe compensatory sweating is 16,9% if T2 is clamped, 9.0% if T3 is clamped. However, I am most likely to end up being one of those, as are you, due to already being a generalized sweater.

However, Dr Lin is not evolving any new method as far as I am concerned, and several of his past patients claim that they was not contacted by him ever again after the surgery, and that he do not even reply on mails concerning a reversal after unwanted side effects.

In sum, the fact that even Dr Lin warns me, and that there is apparently much new science going in the area, I have decided to wait for some more time before doing something drastic. I would love the idea of having a magnetic device to adjust the level of activity on your Sympathetic Nervous System.

Again, please, contact these companies. If many of us express our interest, the process will speed up, according to the fundamentals of economy.

surfsider

VERY interesting. However, how would they implant a magnetic device inside something so small and delicate like the sympathetic chain? How would it not affect other things. And would it be the size of clamps? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

hyp-hi

Interesting information. I hope they develop this method and make it available if it proves to be effective.