friendship and ocd

mfs

hi just when my ocd was getting bad, i was fearring killing people, being a pedophile, that i was going crazy, having panic attacks.... in high school i met a friend who as i became closer to him everything else seemed to be getting better... i didnt have incredibly scary thoughts my life seemed more normal and everything seemed to be better. however, i began thinking about this friend every second of every day... and over the years we became very close. However gradually as we became closer i dont know how but i became controlling, i wanted to be included in all his plans, i wanted to be told everything by him right away, etc there were so many rules... i had this constant thought that he doesn't really like me... i always ask questions like if i die would you cry or am i your bestfriend? of course he became annoyed, i can only imagine, yet he is still a friend..... i constantly repeat the thing i want him to do in case he forgets and ask him the same questions all the time.... when he hangs out with other ppl and doesnt tell me i am enraged... im a good friend to him beyond reason im not mean or anything... just very insecure and the smallest things he does i will get upset at and think he doesnt consider me or treat me like a bestfriend.... he left for college and became depressed and my old thoughts came back and now i fear i am sexually perverted but for some reason being friends with him alleviated everything yet seemingly my ocd latched onto him... has anyone gone through this? Any help would be nice

Feathers

I read in a book that friendship can 'help'... with many things. Maybe you need more friends than just one?

Can you find some new friends, online and in RL?
And maybe also some new hobbies, interests, join a club or an interesting group where you could meet interesting people and eventually make new friends?

It can be very difficult if people talk about dying too much, or get too possessive/jealous.. For me, it was difficult... By leaving other people freedom they will be happy to return to you again... And meanwhile, you can maybe do something interesting too? (And they will love to hear about it?!)

Good luck & hope things get better again!!

mfs

i agree with you... whenever i exercise or keep my mind occupied i feel better and generally am less obsessive about my friend... but its tough for me to make new friends

SAYC

The thing is you have OCD; these repetitive thoughts that are now bothering you so much are OCD and not you, so try not to give them credibility. You need to separate yourself from them. You need to take care of yourself physically; exercise, get a hobby, get good rest, join a club.

We all need friends; we all need to be seen and be part of the world, to be loved and to feel like our "being" has purpose. It is normal to love a friend and to think about the friend a lot. Maybe thinking about your friend helped with your OCD because it kept your mind busy. It is great to have a social life.

You probably miss your friend a lot and are worried about him since he too is depressed. He probably misses you too. I think you must be in your teens or twenties; the hormones coursing through your body make the highs high and can make the lows really low. They make you love like crazy and latch on like crazy. That is why there is so much angst in music and art from people that age. That mellows as you get older. Now is the time to get the OCD under control so you can live the authentic feelings you have and celebrate your life. Good luck. It is worth it::eek::