Flying Lessons Anyone?

black_mamba

Has anyone ever had a flying lesson and would you recommend it? Is it worth getting past the anxiety of being in a confined space with a stranger? I remember someone on here saying something about lessons...

I just spoke to my mum and she was planning on getting me an hours worth of a flying lesson for my upcoming birthday(hint hint)...which of course sounds awesome and would be super cool considering I study aeroplanes a lot at uni, but I'd be quite terrified at the prospect of being sat there with the pilot. Maybe he/she would be used to nervous flyers, who knows. *shrugs*

I'm more scared of the social interaction involved than the flight itself and controlling the plane. Eep! [I think maybe I'll do it just to make my classmates jealous.]

ettamogah_img_8790.jpg

Wasn't me!! 8O

Now, who wants to come along and hold my hand? I won't crash again, promise. 8)

black_mamba

Naa you'll be fine, you can sit in the cockpit with me and help say my prayers for me when we crash land. :D

Bexi

I just LOVE how these ads for flying lessons have now appeared on this page, I find it so cool...

Anyway, YES u should have the lessons! I would, and i'm scared of flying! 8O What fun though, u gotta xxx

black_mamba

Bexi said:
I just LOVE how these ads for flying lessons have now appeared on this page, I find it so cool...

Oh yeeaaah look at the top one 'you have contol' hehe how cheesy? :D

Let's see what ads come up when we mention: bum fun. 8)

Bexi

"bum Fun" LOL!!

OK i'm on it...(so to speak)

But u should do the flying, it'll be cool

This year I'd love to do archery and rock climbing

logitechdog

normal plane no jet fighter yes as the buzz is great or even so a stunt plane. but if your talking about a normal plane then no lol

black_mamba

We should all go archereererereering together sometime, it'll be fun. I'm planning on going rock climbing as soon as my exams are over.

Oh and I seriously doubt anyone is going to allow me to take control of a jet plane, its only a one hour long lesson. 8O

Bum fun bum fun bum fun bum fun. Did it work?

black_mamba

fun fun fun fun fun.

Not working. :?

*hits SPW forum* We want bum fun adverts please!!

Bum bum bum bum bum...

LibertadIlusoria

I want my own airplane, or a helicopter. I asked for a helicopter for Christmas, but my mom wouldn't get me one. :roll: :lol:
</random>

black_mamba

LibertadIlusoria said:
I want my own airplane, or a helicopter. I asked for a helicopter for Christmas, but my mom wouldn't get me one. :roll: :lol:
</random>

Hey I got you a helicopter, shame you didn't turn up to the hanger when I sent that note saying; come to the abandoned air hanger, alone, or else.

Was it too threatening? :lol:

Anyway, your pilot awaits...
hallmark-at-helicopter-joe-large.jpg

Horatio

go for it mamba!

I was seriously wanting to take flying lessons but didnt due to the cost of the 50 lessons I needed for my license.

a place in my old city was once advertising flying lessons in a 1930s style Tiger Moth yellow biplane 8) I wanted to fly vintage aircraft at airshows for a hobby

LibertadIlusoria

black_mamba said:
LibertadIlusoria said:
</random>

Hey I got you a helicopter, shame you didn't turn up to the hanger when I sent that note saying; come to the abandoned air hanger, alone, or else.

Was it too threatening? :lol:

Anyway, your pilot awaits...
hallmark-at-helicopter-joe-large.jpg
Yay! :lol:

black_mamba

Horatio said:
go for it mamba!

I was seriously wanting to take flying lessons but didnt due to the cost of the 50 lessons I needed for my license.

a place in my old city was once advertising flying lessons in a 1930s style Tiger Moth yellow biplane 8) I wanted to fly vintage aircraft at airshows for a hobby

Woah that would be quite an exciting career, why not go for the RC versions instead? :lol:

*mamba legs it as Horatio chases her with his RC plane*

Ow, watch out for the prop taking out my butt! 8O

Danfalc

Banned
I agree with Bexi and horatio and think you should defo go for it :)
The pilot is probaly expecting who ever he gives lessons to, to be anxious and nervous as i think most people takin there first flying lessons would be.

Plus i think taking in the gorgeous views and keeping controll of the plane should be enough to keep your mind off your anxiety.Anyways if you do go for it, good luck mamba im sure you will enjoy it if you give it a try and would love to hear how it goes.

black_mamba

Thankyou everyone for the words of encouragement! If I do go I will be sure to grab some photos too. But its unlikely, sadly, I have soooo little free time because its the final year of my degree. Boo hoo. :x

To be continued....

testobot

black_mamba said:
Has anyone ever had a flying lesson and would you recommend it? Is it worth getting past the anxiety of being in a confined space with a stranger? I remember someone on here saying something about lessons...

I just spoke to my mum and she was planning on getting me an hours worth of a flying lesson for my upcoming birthday(hint hint)...which of course sounds awesome and would be super cool considering I study aeroplanes a lot at uni, but I'd be quite terrified at the prospect of being sat there with the pilot. Maybe he/she would be used to nervous flyers, who knows. *shrugs*

I'm more scared of the social interaction involved than the flight itself and controlling the plane. Eep! [I think maybe I'll do it just to make my classmates jealous.]

Hi Mamba- I took private pilot lessons when I was 18. I had a neighbor who knew an owner of a flight school where I lived and I got free flight lessons in exchange for being a janitor :D Unfortunately, the flight school got sold before I completed my lessons- and I was very close!
As far as being more scared of social interaction in the plane- yes-- I was terrified at first-- but luckily I had some really nice and cool flight instructors.
I would highly recommend it-- the scenery is a wonderful, beautiful, and when you get to solo- being alone w/ just you and the sky is truly liberating. And since you are a thrill junky-experiencing and taking off and landing are completely exhilarating ;)
The worst part for me besides having to socially interact w/ instructors (until I could solo) was having to communicate w/ flight towers via radio :O ... I was constantly fumbling words and because of my anxiety sometimes I would forget airport jargon ... one time my flight instructor got frustrated with me and just took the mic from my hand and just started speaking planely... like- hey Bob.. how's it going- sorry I got a new one- yep we are going to be taking off on runway bla-bla... lol...
anywho, despite the anxiety of having to socialize my experience was completely worth it.