Finding a place to live in London while claiming benefits?

chopin83

Hello,

I'm currently claiming ESA which stands for Employment and Support Allowance. I'm 25 and should be entitled to Housing benefit for 1bedroom flat / self contained studio flat. ( which roughly covers rent up to 220pw according to borough but this will change from 1st Of January I think so I need to find a flat QUICK !!! )

I've been aware that a lot of landlords are not keen on having tenants that are in receipt of benefits so I want to know how I'm supposed to find a place to live. I'm an english citizen ( nothing personal here... ) and I see myself as a honnest and serious tenant that has always paid his rents on time and not let down a landlord. I tried approaching the council houses but they don't actually help me find a place to live although I've been homeless for more than 3 months now!!! I have to stay with friends and pay the rent but just can't afford to do this at the moment. ESA only gives me 67,5£ per week , I can't afford to pay expensive rents with that kind of money so I need to know how to claim HB and find an appropriate place to live in London. I'm not too picky I just want to avoid being to far out ( I'm ok with zone 3-ish not farther... ).

So really my question is , do we actually have to tell the landlord we are claiming benefits even if the adverts precise they don't want benefits claimants ? Can they find out I'm claiming benefits even if the money gets paid straight into my account?
Also I would like to know if it's possible to get financial help for paying security deposit and 1month rent in advance?

Sorry for long post but I've been searching for accomodation for more than 3months , I'm getting hopeless here and don't want to end up sleeping rough in London at this time of the year!!!

Thanks in advance for all your useful replies!

Prestonator

Hi,

I don't have an answer for this, but I would suggest getting in touch with the Benefits adviser service from your local government. Those are the people you should really ask as they would be able to talk you through what you are entitled to and what you are not, and then how to set yourself up for receiving benefits. How to contact Jobcentre Plus : Directgov - Employment

Hope this helps