feeling like conversation are becomming interviews

RND_CHR

I feel like I have a lot ideas for things to say to people, but it seems like whenever i talk to someone, I end up interviewing them instead of having a conversation. It goes like this, I ask them a question, they answer it, Imake a comment. Then I move on to the next topic. I guess I kind of panic sometimes and just ask something else to keep the conversation becuase I dont have any other comments to make. I dunno why this keeps happening. I just fee like other people have much more free flowing conversations. Any tips on overcomming this?

Dave_McFadden

RiiyaRox_ said:
I've tried index cards, but they didn't turn out to be such a good idea.

I'm curious..how was this supposed to work?

When I turned 21 I went through a phase where I tried to talk to people more, and most of my conversations seemed like interviews to me. I don't think people want to be interrogated, but it seemed like it was better than looking completely uninterested.

Dave_McFadden

RiiyaRox_ said:
Dave_McFadden said:
I'm curious..how was this supposed to work?"

You know, the same way they're supposed to help you when you're giving a speech. You write down your ideas about various topics on the index cards and you look at them for help when you blank out. Sometimes you can also write down random facts that your conversation partner may find interesting and therefore will be able to talk for hours (while you sit quietly and worry about the next topic). That "Marie Antoinette was unfairly blamed in the Diamond Necklace Affair" turned out to be a real conversation stopper, though. I should've stuck with how "The average person has over 1,460 dreams a year." Oh well, lesson learned.

I still think it's a good idea, except I probably would have chosen less obscure topics, or at least buffeted the facts with some personal observations on your part, like having ready comments on your dreams or how often you have 4 separate dreams a night, and can they really be considered separate. Maybe you did this and it still didn't work. Or maybe you're trying to reach those men who can go on and on about "fringe" topics.