Feel violent?

arjuna

Do any of you people ever feel violent (possibly as a result of your SP)? Like you really hate people, most of which you don't even know.

Zipper

You should read the story "Notes from the Underground" by the great Russian novelist Fyodor Dostoyevski. The book is about a man who has extreme social anxiety disorder and is misanthropic -- hating other people.

(Dostoyevski himself must have felt SAD symptoms to be able to write such a thing. What is known, however is that Dostoyevski was cruel to servants and was a compulsive gambler.)

I do think that there is a connection between fear and hate -- it's not for no reason that the greek word "phobia" means both anxiety and hatred. I've never felt hatred for people, but my social phobia certainly has created in me certain sado-masochistic tendencies.

Zipper

Also --

I used to have an anxiety that I would curse at people or physically injure them. I did not have these feelings because I actually wanted to hurt other people because I hated them -- rather, it was a simple fear that I would do so if I relaxed. This was a symptom of social anxiety/OCD rather than actual malice or cruelty in my being.