F.B

lithium

I am a moderate blusher. My primary blushing place is school. I feel really nervous sitting at a desk talking to kids and stuff. It depends on the classroom, classmates, and teacher. I also have problems when I sit down to eat at a fast-food place. I just get really nervous for some reason and can't enjoy the food. It's horrible. I'm off of school for 2 weeks, and this is my last week, and I'm dreading going back to school. I been getting depressed thinking about being back in school again. Does anyone have any relaxation techniques?? I would really appreciate it.

TforceNab

lithium said:
I am a moderate blusher. My primary blushing place is school. I feel really nervous sitting at a desk talking to kids and stuff. It depends on the classroom, classmates, and teacher. I also have problems when I sit down to eat at a fast-food place. I just get really nervous for some reason and can't enjoy the food. It's horrible. I'm off of school for 2 weeks, and this is my last week, and I'm dreading going back to school. I been getting depressed thinking about being back in school again. Does anyone have any relaxation techniques?? I would really appreciate it.

I suffer with blushing, but over the years, I have found the first step to achieving results is a positive mental attitude. Easier said than done, I know.

In fast-food restaurants, just try and remember you are there to eat, not to perform a Cabaret. Everyone else is there for the same reason, unless they work there! You are equal to everyone else, no-one is better than you, you are better than no-one else. They are simply people, each one a person just like YOU.

I remember one time I was picked to stand up at the front of the classroom to give a 2 minute 'ice breaker' speech. This was to tell everyone about myself. Gawd, was that terrible...for the first 30secs. I noticed people actually listened to what I was saying - taking an interest. They were not there to ridicule me, they were not there to judge me etc. I soon became comfortable talking, and once the 2 mins was up, I wanted to carry on! Strangely, I enjoyed it. Afterall, they had their turn to come.

Try to train yourself mentally step by step. Try deep breathing, inhaling through the nose, and breathing out the mouth prior to an expected dreaded social experience.

Get out there, and throw yourself into it. The problem will only be prolonged the more you avoid it. It is tough facing up to it, but to relieve it, you have no other choice but to face up to it.

Good luck and take care.

jdj

I disagree with you T force, it takes alot longer than one speech to get up there and being postive eveyrtime you get up there. I have done several speeches yet it keeps coming back. If i wear sunglasses i do not blush, its all to do within the eyes perception with you cannot be seen or judged and the glasses act as a shell.... but unfortunately we cant wear sunglasses all the time to do speeches haha.

lzl

We're afraid of being judged and made fun of.. so if we could stop careing so much, we could relax and try to enjoy what we're doing instead of hating it.
But it takes a lot not to care.

I remember one time I had a 30 minutes presentation for my class in English, wich is not my main language. That was the worst ever. I got very good feedback on the presentation, but I was all shaky inside.. terrible thing for me.
When I have presentations now I say to myself that this is a challenge, this is an opportunity to do something with the problem.. but mostly I end up with blushed skin and halfway to a breakdown.
Yeye.. what to do..? Can't hide it.. so we have to face it and live with the consequenses I'm afraid.

Reaching-Zen

Relaxation techniques are to not think about blushing, and not worry about it. I am blushing less and less thanks to an audio on blushing I downloaded off the net. I paid something like $30 or $40, can't remember, but its money well spent.

We need to stop dwelling on our problem, stop using all those stupid excuses we use or avoidance techniques, stop beating ourselves up about our latest incident, and stop worrying about what everyone else thinks about us.

The bottom line is most people {apart from our circle of family and friends} are selfish and are are mostly interested in themselves and money, and couldn't care about us, so why on earth would or should we be so self concious so as to blush when they dont care one way or another whether we blush or not.

No one cares if you blush. Only you. This is what we need to think.

Sure there are all the evasion/avoidance techniques like directing attention away from ourselves, picking a dim corner in a restaurant, avoiding sitting and facing passengers on public transport, getting sunburnt, exercising madly before facing something, ice in the mouth, sunglasses, etc, etc, but in reality these are a method of running from our problems and not facing them.

Once we start with our ''dont give a damn '' attitude, our problem will gradually go. Very gradually.

Once we have a blushing fit, just say to yourself, ''let it go and let it flow''. Do not suppress it, if you suppress it, you will do the reverse and INCREASE it.

Our problems are from a combination of many things. We are mostly white with AngloCeltic parents/grandparents, we have a medium to low self esteem, we think too much about what others think of us, and we are deep thinkers.

Yes, we are deep thinkers and think alot. Sometimes too much. Enough at times that we lose sleep too. Some of us may have insomnia, and or some depression or mild depression. Well worrying about blushing problems will increase your insomnia or depression. It will fuel it.

DO NOT GIVE A SHIT WHAT OTHERS THINK OF YOU AND YOU WILL GRADUALLY START YOUR NEW LIFE.

Good luck to all. 8)