Eye contact

Aerandir

I just can't make eye contact, it's like they can read my mind when they look in my eyes. But as I am 70% deaf, I read on lips, so when I talk to someone, I look at his lips, litteraly reading what he is saying to me and I appear to be looking in their eyes.. :D

Reholla

Yes its a problem for me-

But since everyone with AD is always looking for ways to "cover up" how they are feeling inside I kind of force myself to look them in the eye.

In my psychology class I took they said something that shows confidence in a person is eye contact. And i thought " oh great now ppl will know for sure Im not confident." So after that I always made a point to do it.

I still automatically look away at times. But when you practice it gets better.

It's kind of funny that the fact that I have AD and am always trying to prove that I am confident, makes me want to do things like make eye contact! ...you know the vicious cycle that happens when you get negative thoughts? I guess theres a HAPPIER cycle that happens (slowly) when you do things like make eye contact.

dazedandconfused

I like to think of there being two kinds of situations where eye-contact is applied.
In friendly and familiar situations (flirting with a girl, talking with friends, chatting with a good acquaintance) I always maintain eye-contact, and find that the person on the other end gives it back. In these situations, you don't even notice that you are looking someone in the eyes.
The other situation type is serious-non-attached. Some examples of these would be when you're talking with a pastor, meeting new people, talking to your boss, or chewing someone out. Whenever you are in one of these, always remember that if you feel uncomfortable with eye-contact, odds are the other person will feel the same way (not always though, some people just always look you in the eye). In these cases, just look them straight in the eye. Make the first move! Force them to make the decision to meet your eyes or not!
And remember, being shy isn't a bad thing. A lot of girls/guys think it's cute when someone they start flirting with is a bit shy. :wink:

Dave109

I have trouble with eye contact, especially when talking to someone face to face. I try to keep as much as possible but I just can't. Call me weird but I have a this thought that if I stare into someone's eyes for a long time something bad will happen to me. Maybe that's just me making up an excuse.

Waybuloo

Dave109 said:
Call me weird but I have a this thought that if I stare into someone's eyes for a long time something bad will happen to me. Maybe that's just me making up an excuse.

yea they don't call the eyes as the window to your soul for nothing. They'll notice ur deep dark secret and then eat you!

Sometiems i can make eye contact, i feel good temporarily, and then i panick cause they're staring too long, and i'm compelled to shake. I feel extremely scared when looking at ppl'z eyes, especially when the other person has big eyes. lol i'm afraid of big eyes, the bigger the scarier.

if the other person doesn't look at me, i don't look at them, if they do, then an eye for an aye.

8O

nate1956

eye contact

i havent been able to look someone in the eyes all my life. yes it does make me feel uncompable. thats one of the symtoms of social anxiety.