Extreme fear of surgery

dannyboy65

Well for a while I've had 2 ingrown toenails and they have gotten infected. I need to get antibiotics first. Once the infection goes away they have to perform surgery on my toes. It's a one day surgery but I'm petrified, I've never had surgery before. The thought of it gives me panic attacks, I really want my toes to get better but I'm so scared of the procedure.

Arkeo2001

Try to ask surgeon for sedation. It is a simple injection, you'll fall asleep quickly (it is a matter of a few seconds) and when awake, all will be done :)

Sacrament

I'm not sure you can just ask for general anaesthesia, since there's risks involved. What you can and should do is tell your doctor about your fears. He/she'll try to make you feel more at ease. You can also make conversation with the surgeon(s) so as to not think about it so much. You can also ask for music, or bring your own. You'll be done in no time.

I remember a few years ago I had surgery that involved getting an epidural. I was so anxious and nervous that whenever the needle poked my spine I'd j erk myself forward a little, which meant they had to start all over again. It was really weird not being able to feel my legs for hours, as if I was touching someone else's legs.