Exposure exercise troubleshooting - Asking strangers random things

shinghan

Hey everyone! I've been doing exposure exercises almost everyday. Currently my exercise is to ask people random things like the time, directions, etc. I notice that some days I can ask like five to ten people a day, but there are a couple of days where I don't ask anyone anything which strikes me as odd. I'm just walking around in the neighborhood and I pass a lot of people. It happened to me today. :crying:

Any ideas, comments, suggestions are welcome! :applause:

Sacrament

Good job!

I had a similar experience with exposure today (though it wasn't intentional exposure). It was my sister's birthday so everyone went out to dinner at a restaurant. A few years ago I'd avoid restaurants like the plague, but now I force myself to go, not only because I enjoy my family's company and they enjoy mine, but because it's good for me. When we got to the place, it was surprisingly crowded, so my 'anxiety instinct' kicked in, with thoughts such as people judging me for this and that, or thinking something negative whenever someone looked at me, etc. The reason why these thoughts were harmless is because I immediately removed their power upon arrival, and so they were just words going through my mind. All in all, despite all the people, I didn't really care about that aspect of the evening and just enjoyed my meal without the troubles of excessive sweating, or blushing/flushing, shaky hands, eyes all over the place, shy speech, etc.

It feels good to have a proper experience and go past all the "oh poor me, I think people are judging me negatively" thing, which gets old very fast.

shinghan

I usually have those thoughts and I always write them down whenever I had them. This time I didn't have those thoughts which was entirely strange. My anxiety was around 45/100 so I wasn't thinking of escaping or anything. I didn't notice any sweating, feeling hot, hands trembling. None of that. One thought that did come to me afterwards was that I didn't want to impose on people.

Sacrament

Just keep exposing yourself to those situations and those thoughts will have less and less power, because you'll become more confident and people will be naturally drawn into that.

shinghan

That's what I've been doing ever since I started taking group therapy. Thank you so much Sacrament for you help!

ONline87_15793

Hey everyone! I've been doing exposure exercises almost everyday. Currently my exercise is to ask people random things like the time, directions, etc. I notice that some days I can ask like five to ten people a day, but there are a couple of days where I don't ask anyone anything which strikes me as odd. I'm just walking around in the neighborhood and I pass a lot of people. It happened to me today. :crying:

Any ideas, comments, suggestions are welcome! :applause:

try to strech the limit, not just make a number. Feel the fear go off. Is the only way to grow.