Excuse for calling

SCP-087-1

I need to call a number and find out who it is. What's a good excuse?

They will probably say who they are when they answer and I can say "whoops wrong number". But if they don't say who they are how can I find out who they are and then hang up?

Sacrament

I know you've already done it, but a simple "hello, who am I speaking with?" usually does the trick.

peakwary

I received a call last week. The caller was foreign (diff accent) so I thought right away that it is probably a sales call. The caller looked for a different person, someone I don't know, so I said "you've got the wrong number." This is how the conversation went:

Caller: Is this XX3-XXX-XXX5?
Me: You have the correct number but the wrong name
Caller: What is your name?
Me: What is this about?
Caller: I am from the government and I am calling about your account?
Me: What government?
Caller: What is your name?
Me: What is your name?
Caller: Why do you need to know my name?
Me: You called me, you should introduce yourself before I give you anymore information about myself? What company are you calling from?
Caller: Motherf****r company.

I hung up.

Has anyone gotten a call like this? Well, I am sure that my number was sold to some company, but these people are really going too far and they have no manners whatsoever. I banned the number from my phone, but there should be a way to report these people.

toowilling

Just keep on talking and don't let the reciever interrupt you. I am sure, he or she got a lot to say at the end.