Everything makes sense now!

selon

I was reading different posts on this forum and came across the avoidant personality disorder and didn't know what it was. So I googled it and it's basically the story of my life. Not sure where to take it from here but it is so good to put a name to this feeling of just not being quite right. I've watched a few YouTube videos but there doesn't seem to be much research out there about this disorder. Have you tried any therapies? Self help? I don't think medication would help with this one... PS. Now I know that its possible to feel ridiculously relieved and also very scared at the same time. Go me!

selon

Ok so first few days of knowing what it is has been a good and bad thing.
Good... just having a name makes it less scarry. It's real it's not just me being weird it's a thing. Other people have it. Other people will have survived it and maybe they've turned their life around?
Bad... What if I'm not one of them? What if I will never be able to be in a relationship, marry, have kids, a home (a real home not shared housing)?
A friend of mine recently told me that she always thought I was my own worst enemy and this thing kind of makes that thought stuck in my head.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I when I first came across Avoidant Personality Disorder I had a similar reaction. I like to joke that I see myself in every mental disorder, but with AvPD it really resonated. I came across in my late teens, around a decade ago now, and there are a few things I remember that stood out. The first was about the use of imagination - AvPD often has people with active imagination that they spend a lot of time exploring - which is something I did a lot. I was a chronic daydreamer. The other thing was how it differed from Social Anxiety. Whenever I would read about SA, it would focus on the anxiety symptoms -sweating, fast heart rate, panic attacks, things like that - and I didn't really face those issues very often. It wasn't because I didn't have a similar underlying issue, but that I went to such great lengths to avoid anything that would possibly lead to the slightest bit of anxiety I never got to the point of feeling anxious. And when I say ridiculous, I mean if I was walking and took a wrong turn I'd walk an extra mile so no one around me would notice I walked the wrong way.

As to therapies and self help, I've done them both. I think they can both help a lot. There was a time when I thought I would never be in a relationship, and I have since had a few. That I'd never get a job, but I managed to do that too. I sometimes think owning and maintaining a house is out the question for me, but I imagine I'll prove myself wrong there as well (at least for the non-financial reasons :p)

I've always felt it's easy to believe that basic life functions are too difficult and I can't survive. I've gone through rough patches where I believed it so much that I stopped trying to survive altogether. But when I actually do try, things almost always end up being ok. And it tends to be something that builds off itself. The less I avoid, the easier it is to do things. The more I avoid, the bigger and scarier everything becomes.