Ethics and self-harm

windcave

I don't intend to write in a scholarly way about this subject.

For the past two days or so, I've been contemplating the pros and cons of ending my life ...

I don't subscribe to any religion -- brought up Catholic, eventually I realized how political institutionalized religions are. (I don't look to offend anyone who subscribes to any major religion in this forum -- just my point of view). So I would say I'm agnostic to the dogmas of most religions, but I do believe in a higher being -- no beard or throne -- something more abstract, more cosmos-like.

Going back to the second paragraph in this posting, well I've started thinking of "the" possibility. Aside from other times this thought has crossed my mind ( this is when the ethics issue comes along) I don't find ethical principles that I can use to talk me out of it. It is my belief, that you can be agnostic or atheist and have strong ethical and moral principles.

I've always thought of life as a present, but at this point it looks like a gift with a return receipt.

As I read what I just wrote, I'm alarmed - I sound like a calculated self-murderer. :oops:

YankeeBob

you are not alone

welcome to this site. i and others hope you will find here some support and a sense of belonging.

it was interesting to hear you talk about a HP ( higher power ).

for myself, and I can only talk about my values/circumstances/feelings, i have come to know a HP who is like a friend.

this friend I can not see , or touch or feel. but i can talk to my friend.

for example i can ask my HP to bring people into my life who might teach me things I need to know, or learn.

does that make any sense ?

be well

jamez

Just because your non-religious doesn't mean you should end your life. Even from any moral, ethical point of view it's never a good thing either, unless someone in say serious chronic pain which is uncurable.

What is is that you hope to achieve by suicide? Because I think from any point of view the cons will far outweigh the pros. Your dead. Game over. I mean WTF? I'm not even really an optimistic person but being alive is far better than being dead.