err, cheers for that...

Helyna

I've heard that doctors do that, but I've never heard a real story about it - it's unbelievable! You even brought research! :x :x You do not have to rely on medication - that's what therapy is for! Please find a second opinion somewhere. Then you can rub it in your evil doctor's face.

Fairy001

I am sorry you had a bad experience trying to seek help.

How old are you? Are you having any therapy? If not did he offer any?

Sometimes it is worth making another appointment and telling what it is you want, that is a hard thing to do, but in my experince it has led to me getting the help I want.

Peace.

Lexmark

Hey man I been here a few months but your post is definetly my faviourite
I have heard the same dribble so many times
GOD HELP US

Helyna

toothpastekisses said:
Fairy001 said:
I am sorry you had a bad experience trying to seek help.

How old are you? Are you having any therapy? If not did he offer any?

Sometimes it is worth making another appointment and telling what it is you want, that is a hard thing to do, but in my experince it has led to me getting the help I want.

Peace.
I'm 18, and not having any therapy. The goblin said that if "it's really getting me down" I could book some therapy sessions but was kinda vague about it and told me to go and ask about therapy at the local psychiatric walk in centre thing, which I don't really want to do out of sheer embarrassment, and also because one of my a level psychology teachers works there apparently. I'm trying to self-cure by just thinkng positive all the time and strangely, it's working a bit! (even it it does mean living in lala land haha)

He is clueless!!! He should be booking therapy for you! At least you're getting somewhere on your own, but I still say you should go to another doctor.

Fairy001

At 18, I would try and steer clear of meds. I am glad that trying to be positive is helping, I think that is really good.

I would suggest seeking out a private counsellor. I have been doing this for six years now, and it is life changing. Counselling will change your life, meds cover over the problem.

If private counselling isn't an option, perhaps go back to the doctor and ask for a referral to a different therapy centre. Most NHS trust now have to offer us a chioce of where we receive treatment.

Peace.

Dave_McFadden

toothpastekisses said:
I even took some research about SAD with me, in case he didn't know much about it. His response? It went roughly along the lines of this... "I think you're just a little shy and I'm sure that in time, you'll come out of your shell. I'm not going to put you on medication as I think you're too young to be relying on drugs".

The doctor probably didn't like the fact that you've diagnosed yourself. Doctors, at least in my experience, don't seem to want to hear that their patients have actually taken the time to inform themselves. I think they find ignorant patients easier to deal with.

If you go to another doctor, you might just describe your symptoms and hopefully the doctor will come up SAD on his own. That way he can think it was his idea, his ego will remain intact, and you can get what you need.