enjoying talking to people more

waine

I am in a new charity shop now (still on forced work experience). And the manageress and volunteers are really nice. We have just got a new assistant mangaeress and she is really nice too. I like it better here. I have reached a level with social anxiety i never thought i would get to. I will try to explain it as best i can. Before starting there, i was worried that other people could tell i was anxious and see that i was anxious. So it was more about physical symptoms of anxiety. This is still with me. The only thing now is that i find it difficult knowing what to say/talk about with colleagues. When i am working i am normally concentrating on the job anyway and dont speak much. People there seem to have a good ability at being able to do their job and converse. However even at breaks, i dont really know what to say.

i have got to say, this is very much like what i am like at home in front of parents. I mean i dont say much around my family. The only thing i ever do seem to ask is whether they are ok. I would say i dont worry AS much about physical symptoms of anxiety around family as i do around work colleagues for some reason.

I mean to change further would mean changing what i am like at home and i am relaxed at home. I have noticed though that now i am for the first time EVER wanting to talk to talk to people and try to make friends.
wane is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Looking_in105

thats great news that you have what sounds like a great bunch of people to work with. I always thought that who you work with is much more important than what you actually do.

I guess you could just bring up anything really, like things that happened to you that morning, or something you heard on the news. Generally, people will not shut you down and will want to try conversing with you.

Or perhaps just point out an item in the shop that looks nice, and talk about that. Usually the conversation will take off and go into all sorts of new topics.

Good luck!