Eating thing

JimmyMack

Hello all,

I have the most bizarre social phobia. I get nervous eating in front of others. This is a stupid phobia. I've had it for years but it only gets bad around Xmas period when I have family and work dinners. I eat ok all year. I can't see beyond the next week. I'm not underweight at the moment, but I'm now in a state of total anxiety. Has anyone had this or am I the only person on the planet that genuinely has it. It says on other websites that is does exist but I've never heard of anyone having it. The bizarre thing is this is my only social phobia. I have no problems talking to people, going out drinking talking with work collegues etc. I feel like I'm going to loose it. The fear is intense.

Does anyone know any good websites?
I want to take this on but the Xmas period is so stressful anyway.
This is not the time I needed to be in a panic.
What makes this worse is I live at home with parents which means its hard to hide my panic.

If this was the middle of summer I could tell the family and get it all sorted, but being at Xmas I don't want to upset the family or cause them stress.

Jimmy

JimmyMack

The biggest thing is that I think I'm going to upset others at the table by being nervous. I don't want to cause anyone else any upset. There's the whole thing of I could ruin Xmas if I'm nervous at the dinner table. I wish there was a magic pill because I dont want to have this.

It's a relief to know that at least one other has this.
Although because I'm dreading an upcoming event I'm in a constant nervous mode at the moment. Just have to make it to 27TH December and then I can begin to try and figuire out how to take this on.

Regards

JimmyMack

IceLad

I don't particularly like eating in front of others.

When I'm munching away, I worry whether I'm making too noise! Also, I stick to non messy foods when eating in front of others, so the thought of eating BBQ spare rips in front of people is a definite no no.

:roll:

maggie

hi JimmyMack :) ..i think being nervous eating in front of others is probably felt by most people suffering from social phobia.....i hate eating in front of even family members at big dinners....and eating in a restaurant?...no way!....the ordering...crowds...wondering where the bathroom is...walking by everyone to find it....and will i find my table after?...or wander around like a dork looking for my seat????!!!!!!!! :roll:

the_recluse

I dont like public eating, ive been known to hide my food away, like under the table. I think its because im scared people will laugh at what im eating or how i eat.