Early 30's SADer...been suffering from SAD since high school

dsylar2887

Hi. Im in my early 30's and ive been suffering from SAD since i was in high school. The amazing thing about this is that I've always been able to "hide" it or play it down as me just being "shy" or "not being a people person".
I'm in a relationship ..going on 8 years and have a stepchild (hes a man now!) and they have no idea how bad my SAD is. My partner knows i get nervous around people, meeting new people, talking to people but she just thinks its part of my personality. She thinks its because im just an introvert.
The people and "friends" that i do meet, are through her. I can honestly say that I have NO friends. It seems like the older im getting the worse my SAD is getting. And i feel like Im missing out on life and opportunities.

I guess im on here posting with the hopes of finding someone I can talk to
that understands what im going though.

Thanks for reading...

slimjim119

Hi, Welcome to the forum.Your situation is similar to mine in some ways, and I'm sure alot of others here. You will find alot of people you can relate too. It's like one big online support group. Good Luck.

txblondgrl

I can relate. I'm in my early 30's also and I've only been recently "diagnosed" with social anxiety (along with general anxiety disorder and bipolar...ya for me!) However, I think I've always had it. I've always been shy, easily embarrassed, not very sociable, etc. Around people that I'm close to and trust, I'm a completely different person. But around strangers or public situations...it's just awful. As a teenager and in my 20's, I "solved" this problem by turning to drugs and alcohol. With drugs and alcohol I was able to relax, loosen up, and have fun. Over the past 5 years, I've become "clean" and just recently also quit smoking. It seems like it's gotten 10 times worse! My husband is very frustrated by it. He wants me to go out with him and socialize with his friends and I don't. We've been together for almost 5 years and I've only hung out with him and his friends a handful of times. It's actually becoming a problem between us now and I'm not sure how to "fix" it. I'm starting by going to a party with him this weekend. I'm terrified to go, but I'm forcing myself to go. I also feel like I'm missing out on opportunities. I WANT to be able to go to these functions and have fun. But they terrify me and something negative always ends up happening to justify my fears.

Sorry...I babbled. I just wanted you to know I can relate and I feel for you.

Take care...

dsylar2887

txblondgrl....i can totally relate. tonight i have to go to a party with my partner as well. usually she goes without me and everyone asks about me...why i don't come out... if there is something wrong. but tonight its a must that i go with her. I guess what freaks me out the most is the anticipation of something going wrong or the fact that i have to talk to people ...strike up a conversation. the worse thing about my situation is that you can see when im uncomfortable or anxious.

like i know i'll definitely drink tonight to make me relax more. but i dont want that to be my solution. you know what i mean.

p.s. let me know how your night went.

Thanks