Drugs to cope with Depression

lithium

Whenever I get really depressed, I tend to look for comfort in marijuana or alcohol. Does anyone else do this? Whenever I do, I feel a little euphoria due to the chemical stimulation, yet after that I become even more depressed than before. Any thoughts?

Of course it makes you feel worse later, Alcohol and pot are natural depressants. You wanna feel better? Eat/sleep better and do some exercise.

mndigi

This is very common. For me it used to be food (still is sometimes when I lose control) when my head hurt from worrying. I would calm down and just plain like having food, especially sugary and fatty ones.

Food/alcohol/drugs/sex or masturbation produce feel good chemicals in our brains like endorphins and serotonin, which makes us go for them when we are depressed. But what happens is, since these things feel so good, we get addicted to them and start going for them even when we aren't that depressed!

Moreover, these things in huge amounts are destructive. So when we are addicted to them, we start destroying ourselves. The way out is to bring about feelings of happiness from constructive, everyday work. So that you don't take more and more of these substances to feel happy which will end up destroying you.

lithium

True that!! But every once in a while, I love getting blitzed outta my mind. hahaha.

Fairy001

I abuse prescription meds, I use alcohol and only in the past year have given up a 15 year drug habit. Self medicating is very common when you are depressed. I guess the way forward is to find some healthier ways of shifting your emotions or thoughts.

Walks, showers, films, games etc

Peace

recluse

What goes up must come down. Alcohol and drug use will cause you to become more depressed after the effects wear away.