Drivers License

sketchy24

I was just curious if anyone had a hard time getting their drivers license due to SA. I've failed the driving test 3 times and its not cause I'm a bad driver... just when I'm sitting in the car with the instructor knowing this person is grading me.

I finally just let my permit expire cause I was so discouraged... it didn't help on the last time when the guy is all, "So you failed the test twice already, what's up with that?"

Anyway, I REALLY want my drivers license so I was thinking about taking the written test again (easy) and drive like theirs no tomorrow feeling 100% comfortable I can do it. But I'm still worried that no matter how good I can actually drive, I'm still gonna mess up on the test cause my nerves just wont leave me alone. On that second driving test, I almost couldn't get out of the parking lot cause I could hardly push the pedal, my leg was shaking so bad it was nearly uncontrollable.

I was sooo close the third time and missed it by like, a point over. Anyway, it's been a year now and not having a DL does not help with my SA cause I feel like even a bigger moron if people ask for it or ask why I don't drive to work and all.

Anyway, anyone else have this problem. Any tips for getting through a simple 20minute driving test without wanting to throw up?

ripewithdecay

Hmm, all you can really do is be well prepared - mentally. So, make sure you get a good sleep the night before ( 8 hours or more), do some exercising an hour or two before your test, or do some meditating. You could also take a walk outside in the fresh air if it's a nice day out. These things will help to burn off the adrenaline that causes anxiety and give you a temporary state of relaxation and confidence.
I haven't even taken my road test yet, but am striving towards getting it this year. It's gonna be nerve racking, but there are a lot of people who suffer from SA that've already conquered this feat.

miss_amy

I failed my first test for the same reason. I think I over analysed it and ended up a disaster.

My second test (only a week later) I told no one I was going and told myself, if I pass I pass and if I fail then no one will know. It took the pressure off, nothing worse than that feeling of having to tell people 'failed again'. I had a lot nicer examiner the second time, he was a very soft gentle man who made me feel better than the stiff examiner I had first time.

I think my advice is just go and do your best and don't think too much.

kernal

It took me a while to realize that not everyone on the road is analyzing my driving.
I second what ripewithdecay said about being prepared - for me what worked is going to the area where I was going to take the test and driving around for a while to make sure I was familiar with the streets and the area, so you aren't surprised by unexpected turns, etc. That helps with part of it...

Edith

I failed 3 times... my family doesnt let me live that down either! I'm not a bad driver, but they all assume I am because I failed so may times! The test just made me nervous... I made stupid mistakes like putting my left blikner on when I want to go right, or forgetting to put in in reverse for my paralell park... arg. What's worse is I had the same tester each time... so each time I was even more nervous! In the end she laughed and said, "Oh Lindsay... you don't like being tested do you? But you're a good driver, so I think you deserve your liscence" and she ended the torture.

Thank god! :wink:

sketchy24

Oh gosh, I wish mine was that nice. I got the same one two out of three but she had like a stick up her butt and someone must have jammed it up there REALLY good that second time. The first time she's all "Well I don't think you're that bad, just need to relax." (kinda snobbish about it though) Second time (two weeks later) it was like "Ok don't come back until you can drive! You will never get a license if you're not a confident driver!" Third time it was someone else and he was cool but said I needed to calm down and relax.

Oh well.... at least I'm not the only one to mess up so much ^_^

lifes_to_long

i took my theory test like 2 weeks ago but failed by 2 marks. grrrrr but i didnt revise at all so im guess i shud wen i do the re-take... how many lessons did it take you b4 doing the practical cause i feel like my instructor is dragging this on and im so bored of it? thanks oli.