drive thrus

Chilling__Echo

i really should know better. but when i'm with a particular friend, we always go somewhere to eat, i always drive because he hates to, and we always go through drive thrus.

i hate them. i am convinced that the people inside think i'm retarded and i can never make out what they say and i'm sure that everyone on the inside can hear me and everything.

i just want to give you guys an example of me ordering:

my friend tells me what he wants (which i'd never heard of and it was this long and complicated combo and yeah... here goes:

"hi, i'd like to get a barbeque chicken sandwich - i mean a barbecue...-"
(whispers to my friend: "what did you say you wanted?")
(he answers)
"a barbeque..."
("what??")
"oh ok, a barbeque sandwich with french fries and a sweet tea"
:::thinks about what i want:::
"and a two piece white barbeque - i mean chicken dinner - i mean plate. what sides do you have?"
"a;lksdjf;aksdjf"
"what??"
:::lists sides:::
"um... french fries"
"you have one more side"
"oh, uh..."

and i finish ordering. I HATE THEM i screw up my words everytime!! or i mess up the order. or they're looking at me funny, or i studder, or ;laskjdf;laskjdf;laksjdf;lksajfd

:evil: :evil: :evil:

jessnz

i used to have to work drive thru at kfc, the drive thru people don't care if you get confused, there are a -lot- of customers that do - to them you're just another customer to serve so don't worry too much :)
and chances are they're more nervous than you are, i know i was!!! I hated getting customers because I used to mess up my words too :p I'd ask if it was to "have here or take away" when i was on the drive thru, or tell them to "drive around to the next window" when i was on front counter, talk about embarrassing :oops:

one thing that could help - write down everything you want before you get to the ordering box, that way you can just read it out

Chilling__Echo

true, and that's exactly what i want to be, just another customer, don't pay any mind to me! haha thanks for the advice. my friend told me he was going to order but he ended not doing it so... eh, i refuse from now on - or we go inside!

bluenow

I feel for you. I have anxiety trying to get the order straight.
Me talking to the kids, 4 miles before we get to McDonalds,
"Okay what do you want?"
"we want to look at the menu",
"oh no you don't. Tell me now"
Then playing the memory game in my mind for the next 3 miles - 2 kids meals, 1 with chicken nugget, 1 plain cheeseburger, etc................

Don't get me wrong, but I had to laugh at your order:

"hi, i'd like to get a barbeque chicken sandwich - i mean a barbecue...-"
(whispers to my friend: "what did you say you wanted?")
(he answers)
"a barbeque..."
("what??")
"oh ok, a barbeque sandwich with french fries and a sweet tea"
:::thinks about what i want:::
"and a two piece white barbeque - i mean chicken dinner - i mean plate. what sides do you have?"
"a;lksdjf;aksdjf"
"what??"
:::lists sides:::
"um... french fries"
"you have one more side"
"oh, uh..."

Sorry, but that is funny! Don't take it wrong, I am laughing with you.

And sweet tea, my favorite drink. You must be in the south.

Chilling__Echo

Don't forget that the people who work there are mostly youngsters who won't risk making mistakes or messing up in any way because their jobs are at stake if they do.

that's alot of what scares me at the same time sadly, sometimes i wish i were an ungodly old fart who didn't give two shits :lol: thanks for the advice.

bluenow, haha, laugh all you want, when i left my feathers were so ruffled, but now i can laugh, b/c i'm sure i sounded rediculous.

THEN i get up to the next window and had to order another tea b/c they didn't get the one my friend swears i ordered... argh!

and yeah, i'm in the south haha good ole NC. i can't really fathom any place not having it - i forget not every place worships diabetes-inducing-tea :D

PhantomPod

I didn't go through a drive-thru for the longest time after I got my license. I don't know, I was just super insecure or something, and wasn't confident about driving through it and was worried I'd drive up too far away from the window where you pay and get your food. But yeah, once I finally went through one for the first time it wasn't so bad after all.

Gloomy

I hate ordering anywhere, especially drive-thrus. I get so nervous before ordering. Its not as bad when you can see the menu before you get there, but most of the time they have the menu right where you order. I must know what is to be ordered before I start talking. I hate ordering for other people. I normally just order something simple so there can be no confusion. I also hate the prerecorder messages that they play first then the real person comes on, that so confuses me I won't know to answer their question or just order. The stupid value menu thing is completely useless. You say what number you want but then they ask you 5 questions for an order that only had 3 items, it would be easier to just order things seperately but if you do that they will just ask if you want the value meal!
Subway is the worst place for me with ordering. You have to tell them every ingredient you want and then when you get to the check out you have to tell the cashier what you ordered. Too bad it is the only fast food you can get which wont give you an instand heart attack.

black_mamba

Theres a great new student fast food place that recently opened next to my uni campus - seriously guys, fast food thats cheap, tastes good and doesn't come with hot food poisoning. :D

Here's my conversation:

Did you want sauce with that?
Me: Erm, no that meal isn't for me so I don't know. No sauce.
Ok, er chilli sauce?
Me: No, no sauce, well, doesn't it come with ketchup anyway?
Er......*looks at menu* err...you want sauce??
Me: No. No, don't worry. No. No sauce.
Do you want chilli sauce? The girls. They don't like chilli sauce.
Me: What? Sorry I don't want any sauce on anything, thanks.

Then later on, after he gives me some free fries (what the hell?)

You want drink?
Me: No thanks.
Yeah yeah you have drink?
Me: Oh, errrr, why does it come with the meal?
What do you want?
Me: Errrrr, dr'.....err.co.....er Dr Pepper.
*me takes dr pepper a bit sheepishly not sure if I have to pay or not*
Me: So this definitely comes with the meal?
Yeah, yeah.

What a friggin exciting life I lead huh? Don't worry Chilling echo, you're not the only one who finds this kinda stuff tricky.

IronMaidenRockess

i HATE kfc here in the england. Every single one we've ever been to has ALWAYS got our orders wrong when we go thru the drive-thru. They always miss things out!

Sometimes we dont find out til we get home if we have alot, but a couple of times we have to go back in to get everything!

Now they have a silly box you have to talk to & the box keeps saying WHAT?

Septor

It's not easy working the drive-thru.When I was younger I worked at the drive-thru at Arby and let me tell you it's not easy.There's people that seem not to be able to read the menu so when they get up to the windows you have to completely redo the order and that takes time.So the next 5 people in line yell and verbal abuse you for taking to long and saying they should just gone in or this is not fast food.Then you have the people that order 30 thing in 20 seconds and expect you to get it all down.Not the best place for some on with sp.

Remember Drive-thru workers are people to.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chilling__Echo

oh i deffinately feel ya septor, retail whore here, so i try adn be really nice when i'm being "served" in any way. i'm sure i'm that person that messes up the order out of fear and nerves. that's why it gets to me so bad about what they think adn i assume they think i'm retarded. i try adn smile anyway when i get up to the window.

Angie_05

Chilling__Echo said:
and yeah, i'm in the south haha good ole NC. i can't really fathom any place not having it - i forget not every place worships diabetes-inducing-tea :D

I just moved to southern GA from Kansas! What a change! Everyone in my house drinks tea and I still can't get over why they don't just drink water! Maybe you can explain it to me someday!

HELLO

I hate drive thrus too but I'm so glad they are availible because I sure as heck ain't going inside to order! :lol: