Dreams

jaded_blonde

I always have nightmarish type dreams where a person is chasing me everywhere but all I do is keep running and hiding and never face the person... this probably means I'm hiding from confronting people and my social anxiety. Does anyone else have dreams similar to this?

specula

I have dreams like that all the time. I had one only the other day where it was night time and a creepy looking guy was chasing me down my road, I ran so far that I realised I’d passed my house but I couldn’t go back cos he was gaining on me. I remember feeling really afraid. I’ve had many others where I’ve been chased, inc one where I was in a building being hunted by terrorists and looking for somewhere to hide. I think you’re right, it must be to do with avoiding confrontations with ppl or something.
They’re quite frightening aren’t they! :cry:

Yossarian

As a kid I used to dream of a Dragon who would relentlessly pursue me through my entire town. No matter where I hid it always found me. I havent had this dream for over a decade I think (oh...) Thankfully I rarely dream these days or at least I cant remember them. Apart from when I was on medication....ooo weird, bizarre, incredibly vivid dreams which would disturb me for hours after I woke. Lots of nazis and Hitler. Also I kept dreaming I couldnt decide where to live, I was between my home now and previous ones......I'm sure they were trying to tell me something. Oh well.

Anonymous

Well Yossarian.... let's just hope if the dragon does return, it turns out that he/she is freindly, and is just persuing a good friend and doesn't want to harm you in any way. Just keep humming that "Puff The Magic Dragon" song and watching the Disney movie "Pete's Dragon" about the little boy and "Elliot"--- the 'friendly dragon'! :)

Crimefish

I always dream that people are chasing me, and I fly away. With or without wings. But even when I'm high above them, I still feel like they can catch me.

Anonymous

I had this recurring dream when I was younger. It was like I was in an artificial world. Artificial grass, cafe setting with a red and white table cloth. From behind me, the earth starts to fold and I slowly get dragged under. But the strangest part of this dream was the sensation - it's something I've never forgotten.

Another fun one is when I try to turn the alarm clock off in my dream.

Anonymous

By sensation, do you mean the reality of the dream, feeling the motions, the earth move, etc.? If so, I know exactly what you mean! I had a dream where I ODed on some meds and walked down to the beach and laid in the sand and went to sleep... the water eventually just covered me then receeded over and over a few times.... I woke up and it felt so REAL, I could taste and smell the salt water and air and I could still hear the waves... wow, really freaky.

JWH

Sorry that was me. It wasn't so much feeling the earth move but more a sinking feeling. Kind of like you quickly stand up after lying down.

Yossarian

Thats not sad Woz. I never found the dragon or whatever to be scary. It was the intense frustration and desperation of endlessly running and hiding with no escape. The complete feeling of uselessness and futility. These feelings were what disturbed me. I could of been chased by a pink blamanche and it wouldn't of made a difference. Besides I'd rather tackle a dragon than do the washing up any day :lol:

P.S. has anyone ever died in their dreams? I did, around the same time my shyness seemed to blossom into SP when I was about 16.

Crimefish

I dreamed a person climbed in my bedroom window and cut my hands off, and I bled to death. Then I woke up in the same setting, so I basically just lay there waiting for it to happen. I was scared to death. It seems like a lot of my nightmares are set in my room at night with me in bed. Great for when you wake up.

Anonymous

Crimefish said:
It seems like a lot of my nightmares are set in my room at night with me in bed. Great for when you wake up.

Yikes! Another reason why staying home all the time is not a good idea--as much as it can seem the only option.

I always want to go out and do something, but never get around to it, unless it's really necessary (like work). other times I'll just end up driving around because I can't find anywhere to stop that I'd be comfortable doing so by myself--and I'm by myself 85-90% of the time. It's almost like I can sometimes forget that there's a great big world out there that I'm still not a part of after all these years of being here.

Anonymous

More on topic, I don't have a lot of dreams, but the ones I do have are exceedingly strange. Often the geometry of my dream world is impossible to grasp (more than 4 dimensions, gravity in more than one direction, etc.). And it's funky how dreams come complete with "background knowledge," like how you can be dreaming of being a farmer/peasant and just "know" that you're in 18th century France.

Like Yoz, I used to have a recurring monster dream. Except I could never quite see the monster very well, and I was always paralyzed and couldn't even try to get away, or make a sound.

Sue

i have the weirdest dreams sometimes i think there is something really wrong with me. one night i was dreaming about a tornado (as i do nearly every night) and when i woke up at 3 in the morning, i heard this whirling noise coming fron over my bed. i turned on the light and there was this huge spinning fan coming down ontop of me. iv no idea where it came from but there it was. 8O

not minding my nakedness i sprinted into the bathroom and stood there terrified for about 10 minutes. then i looked in the mirror and said to myself "sue get back into bed ur just seeing things it was just a dream"

i got back into bed and could still hear the spinning thing over me. then it started to make the same noise as a swarm of flies. yek :? so i fell asleep with the light on. i dont know how but i did manage to get back to sleep.

il never forget the terror i felt and i have never jumped out of bed so fast in my life. too bad it deosent happen when i have to go to collage. find it hard to get out of my lovely double bed. :wink:

redlady

I had one dream where a swamp was encased in a large concrete pool and around the inside walls of the swamp were crocodiles - i had to run over the crocodiles and jump from one to the other before their mouth opened and they ate me - so i had to just keep on running never stopping.
Another saw me driving my parents old car down a street that was familiar to me - but i could barely keep control of the car and it was constantly threatening to crash into everything around me.
Okay this is my last one - My family and i lived under the ocean and in order to keep them alive i had to keep swimming up to the surface and retrieve buckets of air for them.
I remember feeling the intense anxiety of these scenarios in my actual dreams.

thugaveli

I have 1 particular reacurring dream where 3 asian type guys chase me in a car and shoot me, no matter where i am they are there

For instance i was walking past a petrol station and they noticed me so i started running and they caught up with me and shot me (scarey) 8O

A lot of dreams i have are either pluging to my death or spitting my teeth out, most of my dreams are usually to do with death

Another was a grey type figure that only appeared in door ways and once i saw it i had to turn away, i don't understand why
It looked like a hunchback old lady........*shudders*

Medication is great for dreams, they make them seem like reality :lol:

black_mamba

These dreams make for interesting reading!

redlady said:
a swamp was encased in a large concrete pool and around the inside walls of the swamp were crocodiles - i had to run over the crocodiles and jump from one to the other before their mouth opened and they ate me - so i had to just keep on running never stopping.

I've had that one too, I thought maybe I'd been watching too many james Bond films though. :wink:

Recurring dreams;

*standing alone in a darkened carpark then seeing the headlights of a parked car before it starts, yup you guessed it, it chases me.

*monsters chasing me around a maze/castle/winding stair cases

My other dreams are totally insane, we gotta start keeping dream diaries for sure. :D

wildmango

Scary tramp-figure dreams

When I was at university, and the SA was kicking in, i had a series of vivid frightening dreams that i still remember.

in one i was driving through the countryside at night, when we ran into a traffic jam. everyone was just leaving their cars and running away. the news on our car's radio said that a lunatic had escaped from an asylum. my friends in the car ran away too. for some reason i went forward, and the road turned into this misty country lane. i saw this figure appear at the end of the lane, staggering along like he was wounded, he was this sort of tramp figure, dishevelled, wild-looking. i realized he was holding a gun, and i turned and tried to run away, just as he raised his arm and shot at me. then i woke up.

in another dream i was in a lorry, and the tramp guy was driving it, and he was driving it like a maniac. eventually we crashed and were almost falling off a cliff. i managed to pull the guy out before the lorry fell off.

another one i was being chased by some gangsters through a turkish bazaar type place. i ran down this long spiral staircase, and then this figure fell past me, and then smashed on the ground in front of me. i realized the figure was a mask made of china.

plus i had lots of dreams where i was being chased by snakes, lions, crocodiles etc.

id love to hear more about other peoples dreams.

stormygrey

jaded_blonde said:
I always have nightmarish type dreams where a person is chasing me everywhere but all I do is keep running and hiding and never face the person... this probably means I'm hiding from confronting people and my social anxiety. Does anyone else have dreams similar to this?
IT's funny i should come across your topic because I've had a history of bad dreams around 2004-05, which subsided in 2006... they were always half-awake,half-asleep kind of dreams, the setting was in my room/house, unknown people lingering around, and intense fear, and I always woke up sweating after that.
recently I've had a bizarre dream. I dreamt I was at a huge swimming pool (I don't know how to swim) but I had to. I wanted to try, but there was a huge amount of people around the pool, then when everyone went I tried stepping in at the wading end, only I was too late because they were doing something to the pool, cleaning it out or something. I don't know what it all means but I strongly remember the smell of chlorine, and the fear.