DON'T FEEL ALONE SCHOOLYARD BULLYING IS A WORLDWIDE EPIDEMIC

rayman

I am a teacher with over 20 years experience and I am most concerned with the prevalence of schoolyard bullying. Not a week goes by when I don't see incidents of bullying with my own eyes or read about it in the media.

I have found that the best thing to do to try and stop bullying is to talk about it and to talk about strategies to try and prevent it happening. The worst thing a teacher can do however is to talk about bullying in a "preachy" way because kids just switch off and think that the behaviours you are talking about do not belong to them. That is why I decided to approach the subject in a more subtle way and I can tell you that I have met with a lot more success than beginning with "today I want to talk about bullying."

I have found a brilliant discussion starter resource. It is a story by a Professor Cecil Thistlethwaite and the story he has written is available online as an ebook and I would like to direct other educators toward this resource as well.

The story first of all introduces a positive "I will not be easily bullied' character and then it models the way this main character handles the different types of bullying individuals he meets in his journeys.

I honestly believe that one day this book may rank alongside great motivational type stories such as "The Little Red Engine That Could." The web address if you want to check out what I'm raving about is http://www.eloquentbooks.com/TheAdventuresOfHiramBBat.html

rayman