Doing online education...

Fighter86

Hi! i am interested in doing some online education. I have finished high school & would like to earn a diploma online. Anyone has done this? I heard that u might actually need some work experience for some unis or colleges but the only work I have done are part time jobs. Besides, I'm neither an American nor Canadian resident. Can I still be granted tuition loan? Thanx! Any info regarding online studies will be appreciated...

Angie_05

I've taken online classes with my university. As long as you have been admitted to the university, you can enroll in online classes. Tuition and financial aid works the same for the online classes as they do for normal classes.

I would be cautious of the online programs that you read about on internet popups. They can be very expensive and a lot of their credits don't transfer to other schools.

Also, most public universities in my country don't require work experience for admission into undergraduate programs.

aoao

ahhh, yeah i was looking into that just earlier today and it looks very expensive, and i think it's more difficult, too. you'd be better off just dealing with offline schooling.. but if your SP is so bad that you're afraid of doing that, maybe it's a viable option.

Fighter86

Hi! Thanx 4 the replys...

To Angie_05:
U said that u have enrolled with a uni to take on an online course. May I know which uni that is ? Can u guys recommand a reputable uni that offers humanities or social sciences courses? U had also mentioned that tuition grants works the same way as for normal school. But since I'm considered an international student, I'm not applicable for these grants? I mean these grants sre provided only to citizens & PR of the country where the uni is rite?

To aoao:
Actually, quite a huge part of my SA occurs in school, so I was thinking about going online. Besides, for some reason, the guys in school always treat me badly, making me hate school even more. They were & still are very mean people :cry: Studying at home would mean much better concentration for me. U said u were looking at online studying earlier on...maybe u could provide some links? I had been searching the net but don't seem to be coming up with good results.

I was looking at the site for University of Pheonix. Anyone heard of it? Is it any good?

Pls let me know...thanx

2QuietForThem

I have SA and I returned to school a couple of years ago to get a degree. I go to Strayer. It’s a good school for me. I’ve taken all of my classes in person except for one (I experimented with the online course). I need to be in class in order to keep myself motivated. Sitting behind a computer to do the work doesn’t give me the drive to make an “A” grade. While in class, I rarely speak and that doesn’t seem to bother anyone – there’s always a few other people in class who don’t speak either. The loud people just see that as more room for them to lend their voices (that they love so much) to the world. I was picked on a lot in high school and waited years to go back to college. I haven’t seen any kind of bad behavior (other than people talking nonsense) at my college. www.strayer.edu is the website.

Angie_05

Fighter86 said:
Hi! Thanx 4 the replys...

To Angie_05:
U said that u have enrolled with a uni to take on an online course. May I know which uni that is ? Can u guys recommand a reputable uni that offers humanities or social sciences courses? U had also mentioned that tuition grants works the same way as for normal school. But since I'm considered an international student, I'm not applicable for these grants? I mean these grants sre provided only to citizens & PR of the country where the uni is rite?

I was looking at the site for University of Pheonix. Anyone heard of it? Is it any good?

Pls let me know...thanx

I knew someone who attended the U of Phoenix and it was incredibly expensive, so she had to transfer to a local community college. The credits did not transfer and she had to take everything again.

I attend Washburn University in Kansas. It is not an online school, it is a normal university. They do offer an occasional online class, though, which any student is allowed to take at the regular tuition of campus classes.

Any university will offer a good humanities or social science education. Make sure all teachers in the department hold doctorate degrees (Ph.D.'s).

I'm sorry I am not familiar with financial aid for international students. I would first find a school you are interested in, then speak with their financial aid department and they will give you lots of information.

Fighter86

Angie_05 said:
I knew someone who attended the U of Phoenix and it was incredibly expensive, so she had to transfer to a local community college. The credits did not transfer and she had to take everything again.

hey, any idea why she was unable to transfer her credits. I think it says on the uni website that the school is regionally accrediated in the US...this would mean that transfering of credits is possible? Or is the website lying?(I should hope not :lol: )

I have actually spoken to one of the admin people there, she said that their fees are cheaper to other colleges. $265 per credits, must get 60 credits for an associate bachelor's degree($15900!!). Do u guys think its worth it? It seems to me kinda expensive. I'm going to look into Australian Unis, hope they are cheaper...

Fighter86

2QuietForThem said:
I need to be in class in order to keep myself motivated.

class is the worst place that I can be right now...

2QuietForThem said:
I haven’t seen any kind of bad behavior (other than people talking nonsense) at my college.

I wih I haven't too as well. I have been to 3 tietiary institutions & they were all pretty near disasters. I think people(esp. guys) make it their life mission to make live difficult for me :cry: I'm a gaunuie nice person(I swear!). I sit in class & don't talk much, keep to myself & do my own thing. The problem is no one will leave me alone...

2QuietForThem said:
www.strayer.edu is the website

Thanx, I'll check it out to see if it offers online study...

Angie_05

Fighter86 said:
Angie_05 said:

hey, any idea why she was unable to transfer her credits. I think it says on the uni website that the school is regionally accrediated in the US...this would mean that transfering of credits is possible? Or is the website lying?(I should hope not :lol: )

I have actually spoken to one of the admin people there, she said that their fees are cheaper to other colleges. $265 per credits, must get 60 credits for an associate bachelor's degree($15900!!). Do u guys think its worth it? It seems to me kinda expensive. I'm going to look into Australian Unis, hope they are cheaper...

Regionally accredited means that their complete degree is recognizable and there is the possibility of transfering credits. A lot of universities are picky about what classes they will transfer.

I think it's more expensive because it is considered out of state. In the U.S., you have to pay higher tuition if you go to a school outside of the state you live in.