does this sound like OCD ?

ktm200bob

hi.. I am new here.. I haven't been diagnosed yet officially, but my therapist is thinking in this direction.. here's my situation.

i'm 27 y/o, and in relationship with the most wonderful woman i've ever met.. we plan on getting married in a yr or so.. here's the problem.. when we were first dating.. we TALKED a lot.. more so than we should have.. we talked about our pasts, ppl we had dated, intimate histories, etc..

we've been together for 7 mons, and lately, i've been having "uncontrolled thoughts about guys she's dated before me" while we're together.. usually right before she wants to kiss me or something.. it's horrible.. she's so wonderful, and I hate myself for this. My family members have told me i've always been obsessive about things that bother me.. I mean, its like despite hating the thought, and just wanting to forget it, it keeps popping in my head. She on the other hand, despite knowing about my past, chooses not to think about it, and she's fine..

Please, if you have any advice, please offer it.. help save my relationship. my g/f is very patient and wants nothing more than to help me through this, but i know it hurts her b/c she can tell when my head is not clear.. thanks - Bob

monkeycrud

Wow

Your post has made me realise that I've had OCD (or at least obsessive thoughts) for longer than I thought.
I was in a relationship about 10 years ago, and I was besotted. But like you, I couldn't get past the idea of the boyfriends she'd had before me. I wanted to know how many people she'd slept with (I don't know why). I guess I was just imploring her to tell me I had nothing to fear and that I meant more to her than they did. Although this wasn't the sole reason, this probably was a big reason why our relationship really went haywire and I ended up dumped.
I don't really have any advice, all I can say is you can't continue your thoughts in that vein. You MUST acknowledge that she is with you now, and that this must mean she sees something in YOU that she wants. Forget about her past, and don't forget you probably have a past of your own in whatever capacity with other women! Take NOW as what it is, the only important thing, and work with that, not the unchangeable.

ktm200bob

the most pathetic part on my side is.. i've done more of everything w/ more ppl than her.. and she's FINE w/ my past.. cause she's not an idiot like me.. i feel like such a hypocritical loser in this entire situation.. i am going to make this work.. i will not lose the best thing to ever happen to me. . !!!!!

monkeycrud

ktm200bob said:
the most pathetic part on my side is.. i've done more of everything w/ more ppl than her.. and she's FINE w/ my past.. cause she's not an idiot like me.. i feel like such a hypocritical loser in this entire situation.. i am going to make this work.. i will not lose the best thing to ever happen to me. . !!!!!

Exactly! This is about you not her. You're not a hypocrite, but you need to bypass all your own old crap by forgetting about it and do what you obviously want to do now. Be with her. Good luck

knower

KNOW Problem,NO problem

Hi,
I am from India and suffered OCD for the past 2 years.
There are no shortcuts to scucess.Let me tell you things which I have experienced and how I came out.

1.I will not discuss about my problem and what type of OCD I have and how much intense I suffered.
Bcoz almost all of us know about it and we are gifted to have such a great articles in the web to have deeper understanding and extensive knowledge about it that too by Dr.Steve Phillipson and all was amazing.
For OCD sufferers pls read the articles and digest it and record in your mind that it is the disorder which is causing the problem and NOT YOU.
Also i would suggest to read the articles when your mind is bit clear maybe in the early morning or before going to bed(bcoz during these timings registration in the mind happens weel).
If you KNNOW YOUR PROBLEM you are half the way solving it.
When you Know problem no problem-I swear,there is no problem at all in OCD,it is only our reaction and anxiety to a particular thing is creating a problem.
So consciously try to understand the problem of OCD in a biological and logical way about the nature of disease and do not relate your case by case and see the problem.
This should be done and we should practise to understand with "EQUANIMITY OF THOUGHTS".

2.There is also no use in talking about the kind of problems we are undergoing (yes,I know this provides a greater relief,but not a Solution right).Also the very basic thing which everyone needs to understand is
It is NOT A THOUGHT DISORDER,IT IS ANXIETY DISORDER.
so no use in investigating and digging with the thought.It is going to provide us only temporary relief.
Those who have recoverd/recovering stage will definetely understand this.

3.Also we should accept the fact that OCD is a very selfish disease,bcoz we all think about US all the time,how to come out of it and how to get rid of it.
We should try to shift our focus from Self to Others and should understand how many "REAL-PHYSICAL-DREADLY" problems ppl are facing and we are gifted to have a disease which is thoroughly helping us to self-investigate/inspect/understand who we are actually.

4.Lets not concentrate more on self,let us try to live with the problem.One day OCD by itself will loose strength and vanish eventually by time.
TIME is the best answer to it.It may appear that its all well easy to day but I know how disturbing thoughts are...its very difficuly...but lets practise consciously with sincere attitude to come out of it.
Consciousness is only key to come out of it.We tend to spoil social elations/our daily work,rapport with dear friends,physical health everything thinking,thinking,thinking.
It is more than our central problem of oCD other problems like our guilt that we are not doing our duty correctly and our thought that we are nt able to live like others happily and peacefully is hurting us more than the actual problem.So with our problem running in side track lets do and continue our duty with difficulty.Oneday OCD may go but our social relations,our carrer would have got disturbed,so pls do not forget your duties even at most difficult times,let OCD run on side track do not forget your core responsibilities in life,i know its difficult but believe GOD has given us poer to manage,believe we have got so many advantages bcoz of this disease we have become more empathic towards ppl bcoz of OCD,(whatever type of OCD),we understood now there are things running in ppl head when they are reacting badly it is not their real character but it is their ignorance,situation and lack of t

5.Try to catch the silence inbetween the rattling waves of mind and you can observe the stillness in that.Concentrate on that stillness and continue to practise it.One day you will be full with stillness and am sure we all can achieve it as I am doing it.
If you learn to observe the stilness that stillness will tell you that which is real and which is not real.

6.Go for a regular walk (inspite of difficulties and starins)and look around the beauty of nature and its serene nature,peace and calmness.Nature theraphy is the great treatment for such a restless anxiety,look in the moon,sun and drink lots of water.It gives you mental peace.

7.Accept the limitations we have and understand that you cannot come out of a problem in just a short span,working towards recovery is in step and gives you lot of pleasure and maturity if you can do therapy and work on your brain by yourself.

8.Understand the problem in a wider sense and not biased/giving importance to rrot cause of your thought.

Remember this baseline"NO true/logical affection gives rise to Anxiety"
It is only the fear attached to it and our reaction is logical but not our thoughts.
It will always create meaningful actions/outcome and not Anxiety.OCD appears to be meaningful because on the very face that it may also happen in real time and we believe that, that is true.

9.We are loosing our beautiful presence by rewinding,rewindng thoughts thinking abt past and future loosing presence and our future will be based on our present try consciously to redue and instruct your mind and have a strong belief in yourself.
Relax mind relax,its only the fear is causing the problem.
Fear not,know your pronlem no problem...
try,try try and no shortcuts to sucess.
if I can try why cant you try....