does therapy work? how much does it cost?

gaiden19

just wondering whether therapy for SA actually helps, and how all those people snatch up the courage to go see one. i for 1 am terrified of letting my parents, friends etc find out about my SA. i don't think i can deal with the thought of how people and my family will think differently of me. plus i don;t want to burden my parents cause they worry easily.

Helen145

I think therapy works for me..don't worry..your parents and friends shouldn't think any less of you..my mum was the one that suggested i had social phobia..and went to the doctor with me..who reffered me to a phychologist...
I got very nervous when i told my best friend..but she supports me and doesn't think any less of me..

Waybuloo

I free-rode on my therapy, so i don't know whether paying for it would guarantee results. Looking at me now, i'd say it helped perhaps 20-25% in my overall improvement. But then it might jsut be me growing up a bit. It's hard to say. A lot of things they say make sense, but its hard to act on it. But some people might find that helps push them to try harder, u know, in having an accomplice in your self-improvment. And then there's the pills they can give you, but i don't use those. I do treasure the effort of talking to them though, at least i'm making myself heard.

shovelhead

I was seeing a therapist every week at first, then fortnightly, then monthly and then thought I was 'cured' and stopped seeing him after a few months... 3 months latter the panic attacks came back... Now I see the therapist every 4 weeks or so, and it seems enough to keep me on track..

It does aggrevate me a bit that the government won't hep with a therapist at all, but they will happily give you anti-depresents (even though these dont really treat the problem)... But hey thats another story... :-/

P.S. Don't worry about what other people will think too much, it scared me too. But I found it a major load of my shoulders when I let it out and told my girlfriend and parents... and they have been rather good support, my father is still kinda hopeless (just get over it attitude) but thats his problem not mine ;-)

Septor

Going to therapy works for some people and not for others.For people with sa its best to do cbt.Therapy only works as good as the counselor and what you put into it.It take a lot of work.If you don't have rapport with counselor it will not work.You shop around for one that fits you.I think that anyone with sa should at least give it a try.It help some people a lot and other not at all.It help me a lot and I go twice a week but results vary.Also med alone wont work either in most cases.

As for cost.It does cost a lot but there program you can get if your on a low income.