Does it ever trully get better

miss_amy

Hi all,

Does social phobia ever really go away? I have good patches and bad patches. Even at my best going out, functioning 'normally' I only ever feel that I'm managing it rather than it going away completely.

I would really like to chat to people who understand.

okkamsrazor

Course it gets better, there'll be ups and downs, lefts and rights but it will get better. have trust.

Purplelemon187

yeah, i think it does get better, i mean ive had a social phobia for about six years and i got help, its taken me along time even to be able to talk to anyone, now i have friends, not many. i thing is to compare how you was a yaer/ sixth months ago and not compare yourself to people that don't have this problem. it will be hard and take time, but it will be worth it and you'll be stronger for goin through it. also i dont think that most people feel confident all the time, and the only thing that really matters is if you are happy.

miss_amy

What I meant was does it go completely away, totally or it it always a case of managing it and having it come back.

I've had loads of help which worked very well. I got out about did stuff but it still felt that it was lurking underneath still.

I have very good patches but if something happens to upset me, or something like money gets very tight or whatever then I feel those dreaded feeling start to surface again. Sometimes I feel strong enough to zap them straight down and other times they spread and I don't want to mix with people again.

IceLad

I think I'll have an element of SP in me for the rest of my life, so I don't think it will ever completely go away for me, anyway. However, if I compare myself with a few years ago, I know I've made massive strides in what I can and can't do.

coriander1992

I don't know, but I really hope it does.

I don't think it would ever go away as such, more like you would learn to deal with it and find a way to function.

TAMPA-BAY

I agree with everone. I keep makeing the mistake of comparing my self to people who didnt have to deal with the baggage of Anxiety as compare to how I was before I join online sites.