Does anyone care

Emma

Is it just me, or does no-one in this world have a heart? What is so wrong with being a shy person? And what is the big deal about it? Since when does it make someone a nut case? I am so sick and tired of people saying that I'm weird and that I need professional help, saying that just makes things a whole lot worse, why the name calling as well, Do people think that calling someone names like "The Silence" or "Mute girl" or an ugly retard is funny? people wouldn't pick on someone for being sick, so why pick on me for that? Do I not deserve the same level of respect that every other "normal" person gets or am I doomed to be ridiculed forever?
And by the way, even if I were to become a "normal person", that doesn't mean I will forget that hurt and humiliation that people have caused me over the years, and the overwhelming wish that I would just drop off of this planet to save myself some grief.....Ok, I'll stop carrying on now

Chilling__Echo

am I doomed to be ridiculed forever?

no, you're not. people grow up after a while, but there will always be people like that. consider it their loss.

no kind of name calling is appropriate, don't pay them any mind. it makes you the better person in the end.

it's when you find those people that aren't judgemental or IGNORANT that makes life worth living. they are the ones you keep in your life and surround yourself with. it took me to get to college to finally find people like that, genuine friends. and eventually, people just leave you alone.

you can look at the world in just about any light, it's so easy to look at it through a dark lense, but try and focus on the things that you enjoy. life is only hell if you focus on the negative. and not everyone is out to get you, we're all here for you :)

PunkyMonkey

I don't know how you are being picked on, or in what way, but I know it can be terrible.

I haven't been called 'quiet girl', or been really bullied about it since I was a high school freshman. In some ways, people do grow up. Sometimes, when people are really bold, they do comment on how silent I am. In a way, I prefer people noting it and commenting. The questions are a lot easier to deal with than other people who feel so sorry for you and are extra nice. Those are the people who really make me feel like I have a problem.

People just don't like not understanding, and that's too bad. People are insensitive, and it can all really hurt. I'm sorry to hear that you are going through it all too. I don't like when it happens to me, but in a way I know that if I weren't myself, I would judge myself just as harshly as other people do.

I also know what you mean about it mostly feeling like no one wants to have a shy person around. When I was at my freshman orientation for my college, we were constantly being told we'd have to speak up to go far. Many times people who were talking to us would describe people who had problems in school and tell us how shy they were. They would list their bad qualities, and 'shy' would always be one of them. That is very frustrating to hear, because we are just as important in the world as anyone else.

black_mamba

Emma said:
Do people think that calling someone names like "The Silence" or "Mute girl" or an ugly retard is funny? people wouldn't pick on someone for being sick, so why pick on me for that? Do I not deserve the same level of respect that every other "normal" person gets or am I doomed to be ridiculed forever?

A lot of people are heartless, and a lot of people were probably teased themselves and feel its only right that they carry on the tradition. It all points towards idiocy and ignorance. They are stupid. Simple as that.

It's disgusting and no you do not deserve any ill treatment for simply being shy - you're not hurting anyone. Are these grown adults calling you names? :evil:

I went to a conference recently for people with social anxiety and I felt SO refreshed afterwards: everyone, and I mean everyone was nice, friendly, respectful and decent. Good people do exist! :)

blubs

I think thats all I would like...respect. People should respect each other...but they don't. I've struggled with social situations for years...& had ups & downs. Recently...while I was in hospital..I was treated so badly..& was shocked...because it was by some of the staff...& they were middle aged women.
People don't always grow out of bullying.
You would think that experience would teach people to be tolerant & respectful....but often people just get older...they don't have experiences in life that make them any different....so they stay the same small-minded nasty peices of work they've always been...with some extra bitterness thrown in for getting old!