Does anybody study towards medical degree?

Mars_S

I am 30 now and actually think to start studying Bachelor in Medicine (radiology) or something. But have SA and don't know how it is. Also English is my second language (i'm russian).
Maybe somebody with SA managed it and got work as GP or radiologist (in health area).
Anyway, any ideas?

Max

Anomaly

The path to becoming a medical doctor is quite long in the U.S. I don't think I could handle the stress of it all. People often cite helping others and making money as the main advantages of being a medical doctor, but I think other paths can do both better. The high pay cited only comes after many more years of training for specialization and highly competitive residency. Such time invested in other areas (MBA, etc.) would yield good income. People who are, for instance, bioengineers, can potentially help millions of people with their work whereas a medical doctor typically helps only the patients they see in their lifetime. Perhaps they meant the personal instance of helping people?

There are people who do not waver from the intent of becoming a medical doctor from a young age, and go on to achieve their goals. I lack such motivation.

coyote

There are people who do not waver from the intent of becoming a medical doctor from a young age, and go on to achieve their goals. I lack such motivation.

Yeah. Plus, you have to touch sick, oozing people.

No, thanks.

staticreflex

Yeah, it has been difficult sometimes, I just started my 3rd year (in the US) and so now I have to deal with patients (which is easy for me) and attendings (which is a lot harder because I'm afraid to say or do anything wrong in front of them which sometimes makes them frustrated that I don't volunteer participation or answer questions. ) It also affects my interaction with my peers (the worst) because I feel like Im supposed to be friendly and social with them which is very very hard

Mars_S

Yeah, it has been difficult sometimes, I just started my 3rd year (in the US) and so now I have to deal with patients (which is easy for me) and attendings (which is a lot harder because I'm afraid to say or do anything wrong in front of them which sometimes makes them frustrated that I don't volunteer participation or answer questions. ) It also affects my interaction with my peers (the worst) because I feel like Im supposed to be friendly and social with them which is very very hard

How do you manage that? If it's not a secret do you take any medicines to reduce anxieuty? Do you have to perform any presentations in front of colleges? What direction in medicine are going to take?