Does anybody else react very strongly to small situations?

For example, one of my housemates (whom we usually get along very well with) messaged myself and another housemate saying she was sick of being the only one to hoover the house etc. We are not there as much because we have other duties at our homes away from university so it doesn't occur to us as often as it should do to take responsibility for the house's cleanliness.
We apologised and said we would make more of an effort from now on and she was fine with it.

Yet for some reason, it still was on my mind for a long while after that and I felt panicked and upset when she did message us. Probably because I just hate the idea of anyone disliking/disapproving of me and even though I know she's probably forgotten about it now and even though I understand it is a very small issue, I still find myself replaying back, thinking about it and feeling guilty for it, it's almost obsessive. I just can't seem to let go of it.

It's like this for a lot of situations and I know it's definitely something I should work to stop. I was just wondering if anyone else has situations like this?

Last edited:

jaim38

I do too. I used to have minor fights/arguments with my friends (past and present), and feel ashamed because I blamed myself. Whenever I see my friends again, I couldn't help but conjure up those memories. It's like my friendships aren't the same anymore. I become more distant from my friends, to avoid fights/arguments which will end up hurting us both.

dandriv25

I used to make a big deal of small things that would go wrong. I would feel bad about them afterwards and sometimes still do. I didn't realize that I was using those situations as an outlet for my built up tension and anxiety and really made an idiot of myself a few times, especially towards people who were only trying to help.

A lot of anxiety and self worry can be caused by holding on to past situations that went wrong or resulted in conflict. Best to use them as reflection on how you were feeling at the time and use them as a way of avoiding similar situations in the future. If we hold on to negative feelings for too long, they make it the present and future much harder to deal with.

littlegrrr

I hate when others make another person feel like they are "making a mountain out of a molehill". I hate that saying or anything like it with a passion.

Because its much deeper than that. Its like the thing you actually flip out over is the last straw OR theres more to it but trying to put it into words just makes you sound nutty to the people who probably couldnt understand anyway.

Its great you get along with others in your household, though. If i had it my way id live on about 50 acres alone and would probably be more sane just for that fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk