Doctors are pushing my buttons (rant)

Lamb

Very upset and disheveled. It felt like a long but slow day due to a doctor appointment.

I realize this feeling is a result of anxiety and sensitivity, which makes me feel even more like a baby whining. Need to get it off my chest.

For starters, I was late to an appointment with a new doctor because I suck with directions. When I finally get there (usually I would've just given up finding the place if I'm running late to something) the receptionists were b*tchy and not very helpful. Ok..expected; I read reviews prior on the staff.

My doctor did tend to all of my requests (referrals, medication) so.. I'm grateful for that. However, she did state I needed to stop googling medical illnesses, which offended me. It's not like I was freaking out on her thinking I had a 101 conditions. If anything, it should make it a bit easier for her because I know what I'm talking about. This reminded me of the doctor I visited a few months ago who called me a hypochondriac. I mean seriously? It's not very professional telling me I need to relax and stop worrying- as if it's that easy.

In addition to that there was confusion with one the referrals at the end so she had to come back out of her office after seeing me to speak with me (don't know why the receptionist couldn't do it) and gave me attitude. I felt like she was being very confrontational and I left the appointment rather irritated and defeated. It was just a misunderstanding, made me feel ignorant and incapable. I didn't give anyone attitude, I certainly don't expect it from my doctor.

Now I don't want to go back even though she is a good doctor. I thought this was something I could overlook, but now I understand how one bad apple spoils the rest. Or in this case, a couple of them are contaminated. It was enough to push me to say screw that career path as well. I wouldn't want to be around others like this. Obviously I haven't had the best occurrences with medical professionals..

I'm afraid if I go back and it happens again I'm going to explode on somebody. I hate confrontation. :crying:

Also, I have to take my rabbit to the vet tomorrow for a spay operation. There's a possibility she could have cancer, and this doctor seems like a bit of an a**hole as well. :eek:h: Don't want to hear about doctors for awhile after this.

Sorry for the rant.. :sad: just feeling exhausted.

rosewood

i am sorry you had such a crap day with the docs. i think its weird they would be offended you looked up info on the internet. usually, it is good practice to try to figure it out a little on your own just to be more informed.

good luck with the bunny operation, hope things calm down for you

hexagon_sun

Very upset and disheveled. It felt like a long but slow day due to a doctor appointment.

I realize this feeling is a result of anxiety and sensitivity, which makes me feel even more like a baby whining. Need to get it off my chest.

For starters, I was late to an appointment with a new doctor because I suck with directions. When I finally get there (usually I would've just given up finding the place if I'm running late to something) the receptionists were b*tchy and not very helpful. Ok..expected; I read reviews prior on the staff.

My doctor did tend to all of my requests (referrals, medication) so.. I'm grateful for that. However, she did state I needed to stop googling medical illnesses, which offended me. It's not like I was freaking out on her thinking I had a 101 conditions. If anything, it should make it a bit easier for her because I know what I'm talking about. This reminded me of the doctor I visited a few months ago who called me a hypochondriac. I mean seriously? It's not very professional telling me I need to relax and stop worrying- as if it's that easy.

In addition to that there was confusion with one the referrals at the end so she had to come back out of her office after seeing me to speak with me (don't know why the receptionist couldn't do it) and gave me attitude. I felt like she was being very confrontational and I left the appointment rather irritated and defeated. It was just a misunderstanding, made me feel ignorant and incapable. I didn't give anyone attitude, I certainly don't expect it from my doctor.

Now I don't want to go back even though she is a good doctor. I thought this was something I could overlook, but now I understand how one bad apple spoils the rest. Or in this case, a couple of them are contaminated. It was enough to push me to say screw that career path as well. I wouldn't want to be around others like this. Obviously I haven't had the best occurrences with medical professionals..

I'm afraid if I go back and it happens again I'm going to explode on somebody. I hate confrontation.

Also, I have to take my rabbit to the vet tomorrow for a spay operation. There's a possibility she could have cancer, and this doctor seems like a bit of an a**hole as well. Don't want to hear about doctors for awhile after this.

Sorry for the rant.. just feeling exhausted.

Cheer-up lamby! Sorry you had a bah-ah-ah-ah-ad day. :giggle: [poor attempt at humor meant to cheer you up]

I'm really baffled when doctors don't encourage patients to be better informed about their illnesses; their own bodies no less! I just don't understand that! Are they all so arrogant to believe that we couldn't grasp basic medical concepts? We seek medical help from Doctors because they went to med school to learn the mechanics of doctoring not just mastering concepts in medicine. If that were the case, then they would be medical enthusiasts or professional hypochondriacs!

I see no harm to their egos or harm in being informed ourselves. Ours brains work too! ...most of the time :eek:

If anything, we are helping them by giving them leads to follow; if, that is, their interest is to, in fact, help us instead of keeping us dependent on their medical help. How would doctors make a living if everyone were healthy?

Don't worry lamb. Your not alone. I get the same patronizing attitude from my doctors. I suspect most people do...

The only advice I can offer is to not hesitate to ditch your current MD(s) if the relationship has soured. Having a good relationship is essential. Your trusting your well being to this person after all.

Calling you a hypochondriac because you lookup medical stuff on the Internet amounts to slander in my opinion. I know, I know, some people may think I'm taking this too far, but think about what that does to you and how it makes you feel! It's no different than someone calling you lazy, or a slob or any other name.

The fact is, terms like hypochondriac and passive-aggressive are terms that have no substance or real meaning. They are designed to disparage people who are curious and who express views that go against the established norm.

In other words, they could not proof you or anyone else, for that matter, is a hypochondriac in a court of law.:perfect:

ImNotMyIllness

I bet that mean doctor was really bad at this game!

il_570xN.279181560.jpg

Lamb

:giggle: Thank you for the kind words and humor guys. Have to remind myself I'm not the only person this sort of thing happens to. Hexagon_Sun, you're right on all accounts! I'll need to defend myself and consider ditching her if I feel slighted again.

On another note, Anuba might not get spayed today because the vet was booked an extra client! He's assuming it's me because I had intended to go next Saturday but didn't book the appointment. Oye. :idontknow: She's over there right now and regardless I'll have to fetch her.

Why couldn't they tell me this over the phone? Our bus and train fare just got hiked up. :kickingmyself: