Doctor

bigchris

Planning on going to the doctor this week about my hyperhidrosis, any help in what I can say to them? I'm really nervous and don't know what I'll say.

hyp-hi

Just explain your condition. If you know you have it for sure, you can tell him you have done your research and found out you have hyperhydrosis. He might examine you, for example he might have a look at your hands if you are sweating. Depending on what kind of HH you have, he might want to start you off with a topical medication like Drysol.

Don't be nervous, but even if you are, it doesn't matter. Just explain your condition and see what he recommends. Most doctors are not experts on HH so you might know more about it than they do.

Alvinsduckie

also, ask for any medical evidence( such as thyroid, diabetes) etc.

if u dont agree with your dr, get a second opinon :wink:

bigchris

Yeah, I'm nervous as hell so I'll definitely be sweating! I went before and got prescribed some deodorant to apply to my arm pits which has worked wonderfully, but the sweating has moved to all over my body now. So should I just say that I came before and got some deodorant and its worked great but its moved all over my body and ask for a blood test to take for diabetes/thyroid problems and ask if it would be possible to get some tablets if both results come back negative? Sound good?

tiny83

Don't be embarassed with the doctor. I've explained my HH to my first dermatologist, my primary, the new derm and the new derm's associate who specializes in HH. Make sure you get extra sweaty for your exam to emphasize your point! haha. They've seen this before a lot, none of my Docs I've told about it have been surprised in any way so don't worry. In fact, when I told my primary that I was seeing a new derm about it he said to please let him know what they suggest since the Drysol didn't work well enough.

It's fine to suggest what you think it could be, and I'm sure the doc will come up with some ideas to treat it or provide you more comfort.

bigchris

Well I've got an appointment, but it's in 3 fucking weeks, I don't think I can last that long without going crazy. Also it's with the doctor I rang before that told me it was normal and just laughed, so this is probably one the worst case scenarios I could have got.

rxman

My doctor didn't want to entertain the idea of glycopyrrolate and instead talked about diuretics, beta-blockers, and antidepressants. I was (and still am) on a beta-blocker and a diuretic for hypertension. He prescribed an antidepressant (paroxetine) and I took it for a month but still had HH just as bad. For me - it's craniofacial and is triggered by social situations - being the focus of attention or under pressure or just the thought of that - even if it's not real. I went back after 4 weeks of paroxetine and again he didn't like the Robinul idea. I left there empty handed and turned to Avert on my own. I only take it on days I know I'm going to need it and it works great. Not being embarrassed by sweat pouring off my head sure makes me smile! :D

bigchris

rxman, did you order the robinul from pharmacy.ca? Yeah that's what I want to be like, just take robinul on the days I'm going to need it and not worry. I know if I'm sweat free I'd be so much happier.

rxman

bigchris, yes I ordered from pharmacy.ca and got the 1mg and 2mg capsules. The pharmacist I spoke with tried to push me toward the secure wipes but with majority of my sweating on my scalp I didn't want the hassle of trying to wipe my scalp down (I still have hair on my head!). I started with a 2mg dose and then 3mg. It works great if I take it right and I can deal with a dry mouth and the slight urinary retention.

bigchris

Ahh right. Where abouts do you live? I went on pharmacy.ca and was very interested about buying them but I live in UK and I think that the shipping cost was huge. I'm going to see if I can get some free prescribed from my doctor, but if not I may have to just buy them.