Do you think that there is a difference between what people say they value

KiaKaha

Banned
and what they actually do?

Sup.

Do you think that generally people say that they value characteristics and personal traits such as kindness, humbleness, courtesy, patience, humility, inner beauty and other such 'virtues' but actually value the opposite...

I mean talking from a societal perspective...

For example it seems to me from what I can at least observe that people are more interested in status, power, attractiveness, dominance over other people and nature, control and other things like this, all the while nurturing a sense of entitlement.

Do you think that this is true?

And also - if it is true then why won't people just admit that that is what they truly value? I think it's because if people admit their true motivations and what they find important it will make them appear as being selfish and superficial and will be judged for it.

It just seems a whole lot of hypocrisy how we seem to be taught or rather expected to place value on virtuous traits but actually have a tendency to be attracted to almost the exact opposite.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

laure15

It just seems a whole lot of hypocrisy how we seem to be taught or rather expected to place value on virtuous traits but actually have a tendency to be attracted to almost the exact opposite.

I think people value both virtuous traits and less virtuous traits.

And also - if it is true then why won't people just admit that that is what they truly value? I think it's because if people admit their true motivations and what they find important it will make them appear as being selfish and superficial and will be judged for it.

People will admit they value virtuous traits but have a harder time admitting they also care about the nonvirtuous traits. I think it's because people don't want to come off as shallow and superficial.

When people say they value inner beauty, I also think they value outer beauty as well, to a certain extent.

onehandclapping

I think many of us perpetrate certain hypocrisies. people say they find certain characteristics abhorrent, yet display the same things at times, they just don't see that they do it. the reason they hate others doing it is simply a subconscious projection of a dislike of their own behaviour.

IntheLabyrinth

and what they actually do? Sup. Do you think that generally people say that they value characteristics and personal traits such as kindness, humbleness, courtesy, patience, humility, inner beauty and other such 'virtues' but actually value the opposite... I mean talking from a societal perspective... For example it seems to me from what I can at least observe that people are more interested in status, power, attractiveness, dominance over other people and nature, control and other things like this, all the while nurturing a sense of entitlement. Do you think that this is true? And also - if it is true then why won't people just admit that that is what they truly value? I think it's because if people admit their true motivations and what they find important it will make them appear as being selfish and superficial and will be judged for it. It just seems a whole lot of hypocrisy how we seem to be taught or rather expected to place value on virtuous traits but actually have a tendency to be attracted to almost the exact opposite. Any thoughts?

I think you are absolutely correct from a societal perspective. At least that is the case in America. I don't know that it is the case in every society though, like those of collectivist societies. I certainly don't think it is human nature since dominance over others and nature, status, and power is not what is/was valued in many hunter/gatherer socieites. Some valued quite the opposite.