Do you think I could have OCD?

lsw86

I have this irrational fear of tsunamis. I think about them every day, most often at night-time while I am trying to go to sleep. Sometimes I can lie in bed for hours without realising it, obsessing over every detail, eg. What would I do if I had warning, how would I save the kids, how horrible and painful of a death it would be for my kids. I get to a point where I wish I had never had kids because I cannot bear the thought of them dying a painful death in a tsunami. Sometimes if I am very depressed or stressed about something is when these nights occur, sometimes just thinking about tsunamis for an hour or so can lead me into a depression that have lasted up to 3 weeks. One night I thought about it for so long and became so panicked about it that I felt like I was suffocating and I could feel and hear my heart pounding in my chest. This fear of tsunamis has lasted for about a year and a half now, I think about them every day, and have probably at least one night week where i cant sleep because I cant stop thinking about them. Sometimes its every night for weeks on end. The other thing I do that I have read could be a symptom of OCD is the counting. When I was 16 years old I suddenly started this thing where I would pick out random words from conversation, tv or a book, and I would imagine that I was texting on my mobile phone. In my head I count how many times I would have to press each button with each thumb to spell out the word. I know it sounds ridiculous, and I don’t even text anymore! I do this a lot when I am lying there thinking about tsunamis, or when I am stressed about anything in particular. Sometimes I can miss big chunks of tv shows without realising it because I have been counting out so many of the words. I also get this tight anxious sort of feeling in my chest whenever the words I am imagining don’t add up to the same amount of times each thumb presses the buttons to get the word out, and I have to quickly think of a new word or do one that I know adds up to the same. I feel really silly typing this out, I have never spoken in such detail to ANYONE about this, but have been considering for awhile now going to the doctors. Thankyou for reading.

lsw86

sorry just wanted to correct this line ""probably at least one night week where i cant sleep because I cant stop thinking about them" i meant that it can take me hours and hours to be able to fall asleep, not that I dont get any sleep at all!

Hellhound

Super Moderator
That sounds like OCD. Have you thought about going to a psychiatrist? It could be helpful, I know these things have a treatment.

TheStatue

Sounds like me up until about a year ago. My thoughts constantly kept involuntarily drifting into the most unthinkable of horrors. At any moment I could imagine myself being forced into doing certain things or being tortured. I could not stop the thoughts coming at me.

Neither could I stand the number 3 or anything divisible by it. When I was younger and saw any number or word, my mind would start to look for patterns, rearrangements, conversions, etc of it just in order to make sure I wasn't looking at anything that could possibly be associated with 3.

I also felt I had to close doors in a certain way, repeat a certain phrase every night before falling asleep and so on. But somehow all that has mostly gone away now. (I even managed to type the number 3 three times in this post!) Instead my anxiety about meeting other people has increased. But that is another story.

Lea

Banned
I think I have compulsions a lot, but I've got used to it so much that I don't have a clue what it would be like to be normal. It's as if my brain activity wasn't coherent and fluent, but pieces of my brain tied together with a string.... not being able to connect with each other. If I do something it's not because I want to, but because I have to... As if I was haunted from within myself.