Do you have a biological need for friends and social activity?

Diend

The computer, television and books were good ways for me to pass the time in the absence of social activity. I'm looking at social activity for each of us like the time the surgeon general suggests for daily exercise. Do we need an hour of positive social interaction a day in order to stop feeling unwanted and depressed? Do we need more positive reinforcement when we are teased by others? Will positive social interactions make us less afraid to socialize? Can you picture a scenario or an ideal world where you would feel comfortable being outside or speaking in a group?

Odo

Banned
I would say yes, you probably do need social interaction to live.

I think I've posted it before, but Supermax prisons are a perfect example of what happens to people when they're too isolated-- they basically lose their minds, sometimes start cutting themselves just to feel.

I think the Internet and TV can sort of compensate for part of it, but it's definitely not as good as the real thing.

You can do other things to take your mind off of it and it's not like food where if you don't get it you're going to die in a few days, but ultimately nothing can properly fill that need except actually having friends and talking to people and I think that over the years isolation can definitely take a toll.

The computer, television and books were good ways for me to pass the time in the absence of social activity. I'm looking at social activity for each of us like the time the surgeon general suggests for daily exercise. Do we need an hour of positive social interaction a day in order to stop feeling unwanted and depressed? Do we need more positive reinforcement when we are teased by others? Will positive social interactions make us less afraid to socialize? Can you picture a scenario or an ideal world where you would feel comfortable being outside or speaking in a group?

I have a feeling that a fair portion of the activities (in my younger years) of playing computer games, watching television, & reading books, was about gaining some kind of "virtual company" from them.

Depression seems almost indifferent to any social contact. For the past week/so i had been seeing people almost every day, for a few hours, yet my depression remained intact. But after taking my depression/anxiety pills yesterday, i am barely depressed at all today.

When one is teased regulary by others, my opinion is that the only real solution is to change your inner beliefs, & to start being more positive/supportive to yourself. You need to get to a "place" where such "surface" remarks don't trigger deep upheaval/suffering. So i would start with trying to alter the deep beliefs, as i believe they are what ultimately causes all the damage emotionally-wise.