Do most psychiatrists not understand??

shon

I thought that psychiatrists should be smart enough to know about SA. I saw one for the first time last week and mostly she asked questions. She didn't act very understanding. I explained how uncomfortable I feel around people in public and talking on the phone. My husband is in the military and she asked if he deploys often. I said no but he's leaving this summer and will be gone 6 mos. Then she asked me if I go to support groups on the military base for the wives.....I said no and she said you should, that would probably help you have some support. I know what I should do but that's not the issue. She said that after I thought I made it clear how painful it is to meet new people.

I noticed from other posts that there must be quite a few Dr's out there who don't get it. I'm wondering if more of them don't understand then the one's who actually do?

slimjim119

I think the psychiatrist was asking alot of questions because it was your first visit and they have to evaluate your symtoms and determine for themselves your condition, even though it's obvious what it is already. There not going to show much sympathy. They deal with people's problems all day. I'm not seeing one because they charge too much and want to prescribe drugs right away as a quick fix. Therapy takes time.

There has to be good psychiatrists around. I hope you have a good health plan because the costs can be high. Support from other people is important. Give it a little more time. Don't be discouraged. Find a therapist who can help.

geeked

I never really considered going to a psychiatrist or anything like that.

I was in a psychology class and we had to participate in studies (one of the hardest things I've ever done! I was a toal wreck!). For one screening this psychologist asked me a bunch of questions and I actually told her a lot more than I'd ever told anyone. So she basically told me that I needed to go to the mental hospital to get treated, and she gave me their number.

So I realize that there's confidentiality and such and she could only do so much, and I do appreciate her trying to help, but from what I told her, she should have realized that there was absolutely no way I would ever pick up the phone to actually call. Oh well, at least I was able to talk about it...

Argamemnon

I'm afraid you're right. Your psychiatrist is probably an extravert. Those people simply don't understand.

shon

Argamemnon said:
I'm afraid you're right. Your psychiatrist is probably an extravert. Those people simply don't understand.

Yeah, I guess even if they have a degree, it doesn't mean they can understand since they can't relate :? . I saw her again yesterday and she told me she doesn't think I have SAD because I'm intimidated by everyone except my family. She said people w/ SAD are typically afraid of authoritive figures 8O . She mentioned Borderline Personality Disorder and that doesn't describe me whatsoever!

treffin

Argamemnon said:

There's quite a bit of talk about introversion/extraversion on this forum eh? :D

So people who use this forum are introverts? That'd make sense considering it's for people with social anxiety issues.

Oscelot

I saw her again yesterday and she told me she doesn't think I have SAD because I'm intimidated by everyone except my family. She said people w/ SAD are typically afraid of authoritive figures 8O . She mentioned Borderline Personality Disorder and that doesn't describe me whatsoever!
:rolleyes:

Sounds like it's time for you to get a new psychiatrist.