Do antipsychotic meds help with serious anxiety problems

Anonymous

has anyone with very serious social anxiety been helped by taking antipsychotics like zyprexa, risperdal, buspar, seroquel, etc?

shep

Fortunately, I have not had the need for meds yet and I consider them a last resort. My next-to-last resort is to become a hermit I suppose.... Anyway, I'm not much help to you but I see that you are doing your homework first. I hope someone with experience with these meds will answer your post and help you with your decision. If you have not looked into the SA-UK site, you may find some info there. Good luck.

Anonymous

I am a hermit. I have tried all these antipsychotics but may have not given them a fair chance. Really, i am just grasping at straws. I am currently taking seroquel which seems to slow me down a bit. Obviously, it doesn't help with shyness . Basically, it sedates you like the other drugs,
but at this point sedation is something useful to me.

emily

I have been taking seroquel for 4 years now. I started it after being diagnosed with schizophrenia. It has not helped with my anxieties and fears (but I'm happy to say it's an incredible drug when used as an antipsychotic..). My SP actually got worse after this time in my life (which I think is totally understandable). However, Effexor has really helped me with SP.

Anonymous

You are one of the few people in an anxiety group that admits to being labelled schiz. What made you think you were schiz?? what were the symptoms?

anyway, i took 25mg/day for 20 days of seroquel. the dosage for schiz is more like 600 mg which blows my mind. i used it as a sleeping pill and it just knocked me out. when i stopped taking it , i stayed up all night. i really don't know yet if it is useful to me. I have very bad generalized anxiety by which i mean that I am keyed up all the time regardless of people being around. if i was on vacation on tropical island with no worries, i would still be keyed up. i think this kind of anxiety might be helped by sedation. I know this stuff won't affect my shyness. how did i get so keyed up? it was extremely bad social anxiety over a prolonged period. i should have run from situations that caused such bad shyness/social anxiety.

social phobia i think is caused by having difficulty negotiating a position in the social pecking order. if you are happy with a very submissive position at the bottom of the social hierarchy i don't think your social anxiety will be that intense. if you get schiz as an adult and still expect the same rank , i think this causes social anxiety. social isolation obviously causes social phobia. the term social phobia can mean a lot of things. a strong confident familyeg a family with high social status can do a hell of alot to boost your confidence

Quickslash

I was on Geodon(aka ziprasidone) & celexa 5 years ago and at the time it didn't seem like it worked. I still had SP, but I also had a job, I talked to people, & I made a good friend. I went off it after thinking I was cured, the years that followed were the worst of my life, alcoholism, deep depression, and my now hermit life.

The things I did when I was on it seem impossible to me now. Meds are more of a helping hand than a cure.
I've heard some horror stories of antipsychotics involving a permanent condition called tardive dyskinesia(involuntary twitches) so i'm weary of taking it again. I might try seroquel, it's supposed to have less of a risk rate.

I believe SP itself has underlying causes, mine being an overly paranoid personality, antipsychotics help that by doing something to the dopamine area of the brain.